Airwolf remote filter

buhwana

Has anyone installed the Airwolf remote filter on their airplane. i have a Super Decathlon and would like to do this for the convienence but don't know if i can justify the cost. $474 plus hoses.
Tom 26HM

We installed the AirWolf system on our 74 7ECA last winter and have had 2 oil changes since. I like the peace of mind that the filter provides. Our mechanic would not install the filter at the bottom of the firewall, he insisted on installing it at the top left side and consequently, we have to remove the top cowling to change the oil. This is not all bad, as it allows us to see under the cowling where we normally wouldn't, but it would be nice just to reach up from the bottom like airwolf says to do. We have not noticed any reduction in the oil temp after installing the filter kit.
Good kit, well engineered and built.

Ron86654

I put the Airwolf kit on my 7ECA last month. The oil filter is mounted low and can be changed without removing the lower cowling. Have not had a chance to evaluate the change in oil temperature, as it has been a bit cold during January. My total investment came to between $900 and $1,000. It was well worth the money, as how many times has the mechanic signed off inspecting the impossible to reach oil screen withour ever putting a wrench on the housing? After one oil change by me, I was happy to spend the money.

For those who can wait about six months, there is a new filter system that is much easier and cheaper to install. It is made by Casper Labs (http://www.casperlabs.com) and it simply replaces the oil screen housing. The filter sits on top of the housing. So, no hoses or any other expensive mounting issues to deal with. The current kit costs $289.00 and includes a Champion filter. However, it is not approved for certified aircraft, hence the six month wait. That's when the STC process is expected to be completed. While the STC'd version will cost more, it should still be well under the price of an Airwolf. A rough estimate is that it will add $50.00 to the price, but given governmental inefficiencies, I wouldn't be surprised if it added a bit more than that to the price. The people at Casper Labs stated that this system will fit all Citabrias with plenty of room to spare. The only Lycoming engines it won't fit are those with a common magneto drive and I've never even heard of one. Apparently they were only made one year. So, something to consider if you're not in a rush.

Erik

Back