Alternative Fuels

NC86786

There's talk about replacing 100LL with AGE-85 (aircraft-grade alcohol). As there is not even an STC for auto fuel in our birds (engine is fine, but no data on airframe), what are we going to do when 100LL goes away? Are we out of business? It would be nice, too, if we could visit putting more fuel-efficient engines in our tripletails as the technology changes.

I'm concerned.

I try not to worry about the future. Aircooled Motors specified unleaded fuel in these engines. I use unaltered regular unleaded most of the year, except in the winter when airplanes sit alot. All my A/C have 100ll this time of year.

I agree with Dan. The green wave is more panic than it is policy. 100LL was forced upon us long ago, and required adjustments for us all...especially those whose engines were designed for white gas of 72 octane. We survived that...though I'm fond of lead dispersants for the C85 on my Luscombe. The price of fuel is the chief evident, and most real monster today. We seem to be a nation driven by fear and panic. Avoid becoming a participant in that, if you can.

Jonathan

I use Super unleaded and it works fine, actually smoother than 100LL and better on the plugs.
With the little shot of Marvel. But I know, illegal. No STC.

Back