Aluminum versus Spring Steel Gear

speedbirdcfi

Thought I would let everyone know about my experience with the new lighter aluminum landing gear legs that are an option to purchase from American Champion. We operate 2 Citabrias and 1 Super Decathlon at our flight school. Our most popular Citabria is the High Country Explorer with 180hp Superior Vanatge O-360 and the aluminum landing gear. We have had one hard landing bending the left main gear leg and one ground loop bending BOTH main gear legs. I wonder how the spring steel gear legs would have done because in both incidents the airframe was not bent and a wing never touched the ground. I am pretty sure that you can't "re-bend" the spring steel gear legs but I was wondering if anyone knows if the aluminum gear legs could be reconditioned? Grove landing gear systems makes the gear legs for ACA. I am obviously happy for the fact the the gear legs just slightly bent and didn't hurt the airframe which could be much more costly to repair.

Where is your school located? I would love to get a couple hrs dual in the HC Explorer to compare to Scout performance.

Jim

We are located in Morganton, NC (KMRN) and I would like to fly a Scout as well to compare. Our HC Explorer has had the prop repitched from 58" to 55" and u can climb at 1700fpm solo with half tanks of gas. It pulls gliders fairly well also

Thanks, I think I am taking the Scout to FL in early March, I will try to set something up before hand.

Jim

Back