And Now for Something Completely Different

Jonathan Baron

My fellow triple tail worshipers:

I don't know if this has bothered any of you, but lately AOPA has ascended the tall horse and noticed something everyone knows: the GA pilot pool is shrinking, new strudent starts have been dropping at a steady pace, and so forth. Their answer: we (that's right - us) have to do more to encourage more people to fly. We should give back to aviation. I don't know about you, but most aircraft owners have done nothing BUT give - down to the last spare cent - just to fly.

90% (more like 95) of aircraft owners cannot buy a new LSA aircraft, much less a new full featured aircraft, and the new alleged standard for avionics upgrades cost more than our own flying machines. Thus those with the greatest stake in getting more folks flying should, IMO, pay to promote GA. That's what it will take - advertising, not word of mouth among a tiny fraction of the population of the United States.

What have such promotions looked like in the past? The soft sell. Airplanes flying among fluffy clouds, crisp perfect looking actors smiling as they load up a Cessna proclaiming that "Every weekend is an adventure" if you're a pilot. Becoming a pilot costs a lot less than you think.....you know....utter crap.

If we mean to save GA from extinction, folks have to get serious. What's the point of an advertisement? To make you feel inadaquet if you don't buy the product. We need Ted and Ed - partners in a Champ - overflying a congested highway counting the luxury cars and SUVs. We need a minister giving the graveside eulogy, noting the deceased's great acccomplishments in life yet noting he was too much of a wimp to ever fly. We need our champ duo to overly an SUV stuck in the mud as they fly to a nifty destination accessible by no roads whatsoever. You get the idea.

The base price of an LSA cannot exceed 30k, period. This means spreading out the development costs. I work in computer gaming, and video game consoles MUST be sold at a loss. The real money comes after the sale when the customer plays games. The real money in GA over the long term comes by people flying.

How the heck does GA finance this? I have some ideas, but the first - real, go for the throat and the ego advertising - is easy to postulate.

How would you approach the problem of our cunning but dwindling band of aviators?

Jonathan

I'm afraid it is hopeless! I have a PA-235 in for Annual and the Nav lights are inop. Turns out to be the Potentiometer next to the Master Switch that turns the Nav Lights and overhead cabin light on. Hold on to your Arse. Piper list price 276.80 same switch different blend 3.95 at Radio Shack. WTF who the hell wants to own a plane with this kind of BS! The owner is a Doctor and he can afford it,but like you said Jonathan new starts and new pilots are priced right out of the market. It's hopeless AOPA-EAA doesn't matter what they say or do. It's the money and I'm afraid it is hopeless. :x
Lynn N9818B

Uh.....two HUNdred seventy SIX dollars and eighty freaking cents for a pot and switch combo?! Yeah, Lynn, you can rest your case with that one <sigh>.

The link on AvWeb this morning to a young pilots BBS was pretty discouraging. AOPA and the EAA are seen as dreadfully uncool, as are airline pilots, etc.

Older folks say video games are to blame, and some even launch into one of those "kids these days" rants that can be boiled down to "I'm a geezer, and have lost touch." That nonsense goes back to Plato (yep, same complaints about youngsters, just a different time). This is a typical but manageable gulf. Again I return to the total absence of any message being delivered to the world outside of aviation.

But the money...what answer is there to $276.80 light switches? The answer for decades was homebuilts and kitplanes, but one real difference we're seeing in post-Flying Aces generations is fewer and fewer people know how to use tools with each passing generation.

Jonathan

Greetings Bellancaophyles: I am an A&P IA, & the FAA recently sent me some correspondance with a proposal they are considering that would allow owners or aircraft more than 20 years old (and orphaned) to remove your aircraft (once and for all) into a category siminar to that of a LSA or homebuilt, where "acceptable data" for legitamacy of repairs, parts approval and modification would be between you and your IA and the old FAR 43-13 and documented by something similar to a form 337. Having removed your aircraft from standard category, you would no longer use it for commercial operation. We need to politic for this new category, it would allow us to greatly improve safety and utility of our old aircraft and end the catch 22 of STC's who belong to dead men and field approvals that will never be approved. Ken McCune

Is this a one time change and you can not go back even with a complete inspection ???

Mikek

Correct, Mike. Not even with a thorough type certification conformity inspection. It appears tempting at first for the very reasons Ken mentioned. Also, given that although we may understand the value of our aircraft, the public dictates price. There is no sense to that when Cubs are going for 40k. However it means our machines will probably not lose the sort of value that, say, a Howard would. They certainly won't gain value.

The EAA pulled this proposal out of a hat, without consulting anyone really. As the old saying goes, if all you have is a hammer then everything appears to be a nail. With the EAA, everything will become basically an experimental aircraft. After the howling died down a bit, the EAA has become strangely silent regarding their proposal.

The FAA got it into their heads that old aircraft were bad. AOPA proved there was no data to support this notion - none! Not to be deterred by facts, the FAA wants to adopt EAA's proposal. Ken's right. We should be able to determine if we wish to move into a more lenient category allowing us to put current engines, fuel gauges (yep, one Cruisair I know of was grounded over a fuel gauge), even modern autopilots (Jim Younkin's TrueTrak clobbers the certified Georges without costing twenty grand) and electric switches that *don't* cost two hundred, seventy six dollars and eighty cents. We should also be able to decline the offer.

That's my fear - that the feds will take the first wave of adopters with a smile and slap the rest of us with something so costly and onerous (e.g. the sort of intense conformity inspection you'd undergo if you bought an American aircraft in Europe and are bringing it back to America) that the likes of us will have little choice. Cleveland drum brake parts anyone?

Enough crap from me. Follow the links below.

For AvWeb's article on this subject:

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/192360-1.html

For the response from Bob Taylor, President of the Antique Aircraft Association, head over here:

http://aaa-apm.org/

Jonathan

Back