Annual

gzlf3p

I have a Cruisemaster 14-19. Right now we are in the second week of my first annual. For the purpose of budgeting, how much should I set aside for future annuals? I know there are a lot of variables but I know how to add a couple hundred dollars to an estimate for parts and a little labor.
The reason I am asking is because this year’s annual is up to 4k puss about a thousand dollars for some other repairs I was saving for annual time.

My first 14-19 annual was around 5k. The next was closer to 8. Still there are no rules here. Much depends on the condition of the airplane when you bought it. Every airplane you buy has a hidden cost of 10-30 percent to cover things the previous owner learned to put up with or, rather, his A&P/IA allowed each year. The cost is much higher if the owner did his own maintenance and had a buddy sign it off each year.

These are not simple aircraft. Each aileron has counterweights needing regular attention. Ailerons change shape with time and begin to rub on other structures. The engine is an orphan that does not tolerate lack of use. Flap and gear actuation is hydraulic and the power pack is ancient. This also means actuation cylinders that need periodic replacement of O rings. Few 14-19s have all the drain holes legally required. The wood must be inspected. There is an AD on the trim tab requiring the system allow little free play and that S tapes be installed. There is the prop that requires 5k if a late 90s AD has not been complied with, and more like 7-9k if it has the old style clamps. All the parts, including a replacement prop were sold by Hartzell at "half price" for the first couple of years after the AD was issued. Now a new, AD free, prop is 15k plus a long wait while Hartzell builds one.

The fuel system must be tight. Leaks too small to create fuel odor may still be sufficient to create vapor lock at medium to high altitudes. The fuel selector is subject to wear. At the least this means the detents become too subtle. At the worst they leak and this requires *immediate* repair. Brakes, brake lines and cylinders need periodic replacement or overhaul.

The tailwheel is no longer available. Bellanca built replacement tailwheel forks for a time that allow the use of Scott 8 inch tailwheels but they're hard to find now. The tailwheel sissors tend to wear out, but most shops can fabricate them.

The wiring is OLD, but complete replacement can only be practically accomplished during recover. Working under the panel can be excruciating. Plumbing for the vacuum system can also be a problem and the tight space under the panel again comes into play. Filters must be replaced and, in some 14-19s, this can be nearly impossible. Pressure regulators need servicing or else you'll find yourself having to fly absurd speeds to get your vacuum instruments to work. Still, it's a venturi system and not subject to mechanical failure.

Your engine baffles must be kept in excellent condition or else your CHTs will go off the scale. In some installations the cowl flap works as intended and, inexplicably, in others its deployment will result in reverse airflow, like the early Bananas, and fry your cylinders.

Speaking of cylinders, O-435 cylinders tend to develop cracks even if you are nice to them. Thus cylinder replacement/repair may crop up at any annual.

In short, despite their low purchase price, 14-19s cost the same to maintain as any complex retract. You don't get ahead of maintenance - a popular notion among new owners of complex airplanes, especially twins. This may easily be the finest GA airplane you will ever own - nothing comes close to 14 series Bellancas in all their incarnations. They are not, however, Luscombes, Champs, Taylorcrafts, Cessna 120/140s or the like.

Budget 4-5 grand for annuals *after* the airplane has had a thorough going through.

Jonathan

Back