Another 14-19-3 Project on eBay

Rob58

Wentworth is selling another -3 that suffered a runway excursion and resulting nose gear collapse. The accident apparently happened last year or early this year. The damage is rather extensive and most likely this aircraft will never fly again. Couldn't find any NTSB report on this. Does anyone have any details regarding the incident? eBay item number:383071845535. Probably won't sell as they typically set the reserve too high.

------- FAA Accident/Incident 1 -------
Occurrence Date 2002-12-02 Aircraft Make BLANCA
Aircraft Model 14193 Damage MINOR
Document Last Modified 2012-08-08
Narrative (-23) MR. FITCH WAS PILOT IN COMMAND ON THE FLIGHT FROM JACKSONVILLE, ILLINOIS, TO MARYVILLE, MISSOURI. WHEN THE LANDING GEAR WAS LOWERED FOR LANDING, THE PILOT NOTED THAT THE GREEN LIGHTS FOR THE MAIN GEAR WERE ILLUMINATED, BUT THE NOSE GEAR WAS NOT. AT THAT TIME HE NOTED THAT THE HYDRAULIC PRESSURE GAUGE READ ZERO. ATTEMPTS TO LOWER THE NOSE GEAR WITH THE EMERGENCY HAND PUMP WERE UNSUCCESSFUL. THE PILOT ELECTED TO CONTINUE TO ST. JOSEPH, MISSOURI, AND MADE A NOSE GEAR UP LANDING. AN INSPECTION OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT REVEALED HYDRAULIC FLUID ON THE FIREWALL AND SURROUNDING STRUCTURE. IT IS SUSPECTED THAT A HYDRAULIC LINE TO THE NOSE GEAR ACTUATOR FAILED, PUMPING ALL THE HYDRAULIC FLUID OVERBOARD. INCIDENT ^PRIVACY DATA OMITTED^ IS CLOSED WITH THIS REPORT.

***** No NTBS Accidents Found *****

------- NTBS Pre 1982 Accident 1 -------
Qccurrence Date 1971-05-16 Aircraft Make BELLANCA
Aircraft Model 14-19 Aircraft Serial Number 000000004165
Damage SUBSTANTIAL Accident Location SEGUIN,TEX
Occurrences WHEELS-UP Phase of Flight LANDING - LEVEL OFF/TOUCHDOWN
Causes NORMAL RETRACTION/EXTENSION ASSEMBLY Narrative NOSE GR WOULD NOT EXTEND.CAUSE UNK DUE EXTENSIVE DMG.1ST FLT SINCE PAINT JOB.

------- SDR 1 -------
Date Of Report 1975-07-28 Operator Control Number Z197520900036
Date Of Occurrence Aircraft Registration 7990A
Aircraft Manufacturer BLANCA Aircraft Group Code 1419
Aircraft Manufacturer Model 14193 Aircraft Make Model Sequence 1220406
Air Carrier Name Unknown Air Carrier Operation Code
Operation Type Stage Of Operation INSP/MAINT
Severity Factor OVER 24 MO Air Transport Association Code Fuselage Main, Structure
Precautionary Procedures NONE Nature Of Condition NO WARNING INDICATION
Segment AIRFRAME Descriptive Name Of Part LONGERON
Defective Location On Aircraft REAR FUSELAGE Failed Part Condition CORRODED
Part Total Time 1,550 Part Total Time Since Overhaul 1,550
Component Manufacturer Component Manufacturer Model
Component Manufacturer Number Manufacturer Part Number
Ata Code
Remarks BOTTON OF LT & RT LOWER LONGERONS CORRODED IN 2 FOOT AREA,APPROX 2 FT FWD OF TAI L POST

This airplane needs someone to restore it...correctly and keep it maintained. Poor maintenance probably caused the landing gear problems. The SDR addresses a common problem with all Bellancas. This is where water collects when left outside. I recall several Cruisairs and Cruisemasters that needed lower longeron repairs.

Does the nose gear on the -3 not automatically extend with the loss of hydraulic pressure similar to the main gear on a -2?

Yes, it is quite heavy and it will certainly drop part of the way out of the wheel well. However it is extending against the airstream so it is up that kick-down spring to finish the job and lock it into place.

So as long as the kick down spring is in good shape the nose gear will go over center and lock?
I just replaced my kick down springs this last annual for the same issue
-Adam

Yes, that is the theory anyway. However there can be sources of friction that can alter this outcome. As for the 14-19-3 I have run some tests (on jacks) and let the nose gear free fall and although it did lock in place, a lot of the force was simply the inertia of the gear swinging down. I am not confident at all that I would get the same result in flight, even with new kick-down springs. However on the 14-19-2 the drag struts are quite different than the nose gear on the -3 (fewer friction points) and I do believe the gear will lock over-center successfully. There have been a few testimonials from owners that have been in this situation and reported successful landings. If the tricycle gear arrangement was certain to achieve a free-fall and lock then why did Bellanca add an emergency gear extension blow down (using a CO2 cartridge) in the Vikings? If I were faced with a free fall extension I would start from a rather deep stall and pitch down steeply because I think the forces of gravity will do more good than the spring.

For these reason I pay very close attention to the maintenance of the hydraulic system in both my -2 and -3 machines. I definitely make sure my springs are changed every couple of years as well. --Rob

Back