Another Cruisair Brake Topic

kgassert

Hello,

I know this has been discussed in several threads but I can't seem to pull the info together. I am again trying to figure out what to do with my brake master cylinders. I have Cleveland's with the old Scott masters. Also all the lines are -3 in size. I see some have put in new master cylinders. Are you guys using Cleveland's with built in reservoirs or remote? I have a set of 10-35 masters with the reservoir built in but they are an inch taller than my Scott's. Parker is recommending either the 10-30 or 10-54 which need a remote reservoir. Are you still using -3 lines or -4? What is used in the STC SA995SO and is it still available? The FSDO is willing to field approve what I come up with. If someone already has this approved the 337 can be used as acceptable data under AC 23-27.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin,
If you get a 337 for this, I would like a copy if possible. I have put Cleveland brakes on my Cruisair but it is still a long way from being ready to fly.

Kevin,there is a proper length Cleveland cylinder because I have them on my Cruisair but the decals have washed off and my paperwork is too vague to tell the numbers. They make the brakes comfortable to use. I flew a friends Cruisair last week and he had masters that were a little too long and they were very uncomfortable. I would suggest trying Jim Green that sells the Bodel brakes to see if he has the right length available,or measure your Scotts and call a salvage yard to see what they have in the same length. Jim Green,s number should be in the club news letter.___Good Luck___Grant.

Kevin,

Nobody knows what was contained in STC SA995SO. I tracked down the STC holder's wife, a really sweet lady who gave me permission to use the STC if I could find info on it. Armed with a permission letter, I approached the Atlanta FSDO, which informed me that I could use the STC IF I could find a copy of it. Their copy burned in a records fire sometime in the 1980s, thus another dead end.

Mike

You should be able to get a hold of the FAA Small Airplane Directorate Engineering Office that originally approved the STC, it looks like it was approved in the south region, go to the FAA.gov site to find the information.

Try this, if this is not the correct office look up the state on the faa site it will direct you to the proper place.

Atlanta ACO
One Crown Center
1895 Phoenix Blvd, Suite 225
Atlanta, GA 30349
(770) 703-6035 FAX: (770) 703-6097

Dan

gJordan,

Do you have a remote reservoir in yours? The 10-35 has the built in reservoir but they are longer than the Scott although I have seen some that have had the stem threads cut more. The 10-30 and 10-54 that Cleveland recommended has the same length but no reservoir. Does anyone know if SA995SO included the master cylinders or is it only an STC for a remote reservoir? Do yu have -3 or -4 lines in your brake system?

Thanks,
Kevin

i just called the responsible FSDO and requested a copy of the STC. They are in the process of moving their office so it may take a couple weeks to get it. I will report back with the results.

Kevin

And I continue to monitor this page because I still have all of this in front of me and my bird still has the 14-13 master cylinder. I will wait for the final word before I do anything. :roll:

I finally got a copy of STC SA995SO and here is what it says.

"Installation of external reservoir brake system in accordance with Patterson Drawing List, Report No. 1, dated March 25, 1976."

Woopde do, that was worth the wait.... Anyone have a copy of the Patterson Drawing List???

Kevin

Gary, I dont know if you have solved your master cylinder yet, but in going over Mike Grimes CD I found that he used Cleavland 10-20 self contained master cylinders. It was done on a 337. Pull the CD if you still need the info. You might call a Cleavland dealer and ask for dimensions. The N# is 74231. Mike works for the FAA, so his 337s are very well written._____Grant.

Back