Another Entry in the WTF File

Jonathan Baron

Okay, it's enough that I could have bought two nice -2s for the money I've "invested" in getting my 14-19 into good shape. However I'm wise enough to know it's never over.....all you can hope for is a break.

Unfortunately this story I'm about to relate reminds me less of simple maintenance and more of a television show I used to watch as a kid. Assume, if you will, an airplane that apparantly is capable of defying both the laws of physics and common sense - an aircraft engine that rusts, not due to neglect or inactivity, but because of use and activity. Sounds impossible you say. Not...in The Twilight Zone....

My 14-19 went in for an annual recently - an annual I somehow believed would be routine. Yet, after a three hour flight to get it to the shop (thanks Russell! I had to drive due to some further data the Federales needs to see to show them I am, indeed, healthy), there was water in the oil sump, lingering sweat on the push rods, and plenty of evidence of rust starting. Fortunately it had not yet reached the new cam, nor had it gotten to the Cermi-Nil cylinders.

"Have you run the engine without flying?" the mechanic asked. After assuring him I was not quite that stupid, he and Russell pondered awhile. I occupied myself by standing in rigid, slack-jawed shock.

Well....long ago, some previous owner had crafted an impressive metal sculpture with some of the finest aluminium welding I've ever seen. It was referred to as an air/oil separator and it sat, majestic, upon my have-torque-will-travel O-435 beast. However, as you know, water is a byproduct of combustion....nasty, acidic water. An oily mist is included at no charge. Both are supposed to escape via the breather. The separator is supposed to condense the oil and return it to the crankcase, leaving your Bellanca belly free of greasy, oily film. Mine was even more industrious. It saved the oil and the water, dumping both - especially the water, in great abundance - into the crankcase. Charming.

A few weeks, labor, and parts later my 'Master will return to me once again. I'm not going to say anything to it, I'm not even going to think about it. I'm simply going to fly and enjoy it, suspended between hope and desire :)

I'm keeping the metal sculpture for two reasons. One, I want to be reminded often that it's no longer on my airplane. Second, if I find a good recipe for sour mash, I might be able to put it to use.

Jonathan

snip...
The separator is supposed to condense the oil and return it to the crankcase, leaving your Bellanca belly free of greasy, oily film. Mine was even more industrious. It saved the oil and the water, dumping both - especially the water, in great abundance - into the crankcase. Charming.

hey jon!

yeah, i've often wondered about the wisdom of dumping the proceeds from the oil/air separator back into the engine.

i did put one on mine, but it dumps to a can clamped to the engine mount and i empty it after 4 or 5 flights. the stuff is so acidic it eventually eats away the bottom of the can and i have to replace it about once a year. imagine that kind of damage inside your engine! :shock:

it does keep the belly clean, but i sure wouldn't want the residue pumped back into my crankcase. cams, lifters & cylinders are just too expensive!

glad to hear your airplane is airworthy again. how's about you?

N522A is slowly creeping towards airworthiness. it's still cold and rainy down here and dan's had a difficult time finding good days to paint.

looking forward to columbia in june!

blue skies!

vic & N522A

Hey there, Vic!

Fortunately it was caught before it could do the sort of damage, the description of which could knock you down a flight of stairs. Wrist pins, lifters, and labor.....no cylinders, cam or the like. Excellent compression and so forth - things you expect from a fresh overhaul - remain.

After this I re-read three or so articles by Aviation Consumer on the subject of these cash/self separators. Their conclusion was it was best to avoid them or rip them out if you have one - that is unless it's for a wet vacuum pump which does not have combustion byproducts anyway. They said that an oily belly is a small price to pay in light of possible unintended consequences, plus adding some oil between oil changes was a good thing.

One other claim by folks selling these things is that higher oil levels mean better cooling. This is utter nonsense, of course. Simply increasing the volume of fluid in the pot on the stove and using the same heat setting merely delays to effect you'd see with a smaller pot. Little or no oil? Well....that's a different matter :)

Please say hi to Dan for me, Vic. See you in June!

Jonathan

I'm sorry to hear of your trouble Jon, but I have been telling my customers for years that a seperator is a bad idea. Seperators were made for a wet vac pump and that is it. I have one on my -2 and that is all that it is used for. I remember one fella buying a seperator for his Lyc and I refused to do the install. He called me somewhat of an idot so I just printed and mailed him your forum entry. I hope he had it put on and now reads this! :D Lynn N9818B

I was thinking of a separator installation on my Franklin -2. Well, I'll wash the belly. The hell with it. It will give me a good excuse to go to the airfield and relax on my knees and back on nice sunny saturday mornings with a good jug of coffee by me.

This forum is excellent to stay out of trouble.

Thanks guys!

If you are looking for something that will clean the grease of the plane with very little work, try Simple Green. Rinse well and don't use it on metel or aluminum unless you REALLY rinse well. It will eat metal. :lol: :lol:

They've got a new formulation of Simple Green, Randy, that I believe fixes the appetite for meal of the original.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/09-00809.php

Jonathan

Back