anyone home

Yep, Randy, still here....my 14-19 is finally coming together (again - sigh - ). After a thorough and frustrating, not to mention lengthy, scavenger hunt, my O-435 is back together, overhauled to new limits.

I give a lot of crap to folks who take the nose job route when their 14-19s' WWII era navy surplus engines beg for mercy, but I've lost count of the major new, old stock parts I grabbed that were the last ones on the backroom dusty shelves of parts suppliers of last resort.

Had the cylinders, case and crank done by ECI in San Antonio. Their cermi-nil process on cylinders is held in high esteem in the industry at the moment and we went through a LOT of used cylinders before we had six that passed muster with them.

A stripped down 14-19 sits in the same shop as mine at Kittie Hill Airport in Leander (just outside of Austin - 77T). The owner's engine and prop are fresh, but his 'Master needs a cover job.

Ninety some-odd 14-19s were made before GM called it quits. I find it interesting that three of the survivors are based at Kittie Hill, all with their original power plants.

In short, although I may well survive the sheer cost of getting this 'Master into splendid, original condition (the engine overhaul was not the most expensive of the fiscal pain here), I finally must concede that the nose job route makes some sense.

Then again, only a fool or a dilusional soul thinks that "sense" belongs in the private pilots' lexicon.

Jonathan

Looks like my new instrument panel is a shade too tall. I nearly touches my knees (the instrument panel that is) :wink: . Anyone have a nice original panel for a 14-13-2 :?:

Sure did look nice though........

Can't stand the thought of cutting and rewiring a new one :evil:

Back