Anyone into GPS systems?

Swede

I am a real gadget guy and am searching for a nice GPS. As much as I'd love to buy a Garmin WAAS system, I don't have that kind of coin, so it's going to be a smaller, "portable" VFR unit.

Using an Airgizmo panel mount, I'm thinking I can make it look nice.

My favorite by far in this hunt is the AvMap EKPIV GPS. BIG, nice looking screen. The interface looks a lot like something you'd find on a GPS that costs 5X as much.

http://www.airplanegear.com/avmap.htm

Does anyone have one of these, and if so, do you like it? I am of course open to other suggestions as well. Is it feasible to place the antennna just below the fabric in the overhead area? I don't have a greenhouse roof, and I'd like to make the installation somewhat clean and uncluttered.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this looks nicer than a Garmin 496, at a fraction of the cost. What is it about Garmin that makes it cost so much more?

Edit: I can't make that link hot... very strange. Sorry! Let's try another:

http://www.avmapnavigation.com/index.php?swt=1202&ipr=4

Swede,

I bought the AvMap while at Oshkosh this past summer. I paid $1300 for it and am very pleased. I LOVE the huge display. I was previously useing a handheld Garmin and had a hard time seeing the screen in bumpy conditions.
If you get one you should be happy. If you search the net I think you can still find them for $1300-1350.

Keith

Thanks Keith. Can you tell me about updates? Hard to get, or expensive? I found several NIB on eBay from an avionics dealer for $1350. Otherwise, they seem to come in at $1500. Thank you.

Kurt

Haven't had to update anything yet. But everytime I called the rep in Mass. they were very friendly and helpful.
The reason for calling them was the card included with my GPS was the newest version and in it a lot of lakes were deleted for the area I fly in (MN). I was on floats at the time and they gave me an older card to use until they got things updated. Not sure if they have done it or not yet since I had to quit flying for a while....snapped both bones in my lower leg so I'm out of commision til spring. :(

You might want to call Topic Aero, Pacific and Gulf Coast Avionics and see if they will match that price. At least with one of these you may not have to worry about a return if you have a problem. I think I got mine from Gulf Coast. They had them for $1350 at Oshkosh and then the factory gave a $50 rebate also.

Keith

The AvMap is very nice. I use the lowrance Airmap 2000C. I bought it on line for about $800. Screen is nice and readable, it is WAAS capable, has terrain and I use it in the moving map with "heads up" type display which shows alt and airspeed, VSI on the sides with HSI or CDI at the bottom. Very cool and a great price.

decatman,

That is the unit I had PLANNED on buying. I had looked at the 2000C the year before and it seemed like a good unit. The only thing I did not like about it was the clarity of the screen. As soon as I saw the AvMap I was sold. It was more money but I am glad I made the decission.
I had also read quite a few bad reviews on the Lowrance and guys having trouble with customer service. So, I was a little hesitant to get one. Have you had good luck with yours? I still would rate it one of the better values for the dollar though as long as it works well.

Yes, I've had good luck with it. I was using the old 1000 which I really liked. It was cheap which was one of the main reasons I bought it. It does a great job for the money and gives me all the info I need. I have not need customer service as of yet I don't know about that end of the company. Hopefully I won't find out!

Back