AOPA "Disses" the Cruisemaster

Jonathan Baron

Then again, most folks do, and I don't just mean 'Masters, but triple tails in general. I've always viewed the Cruisair as the more nimble and fit of the two brothers that shames its younger sibling into running away.

AOPA Pilot released a commemorative issue, marking the 50th Anniversary of the magazine. Previously it had been an insert in Flying. To be fair, its snapshot of 1958 has many interesting moments - like when Hertz tried to go into the rent-a-plane business - and they don't really say much of anything about '58 being the last year that a high performance, four place, tail wheel retract was built in the United States (you needn't guess what aircraft that was :p ). However, they have a photo that purports to be a -2 that's a 14-19 with a Photoshopped -2 nose attached...and a real crappy Photoshop job at that.

Rather than do the typical thing of writing the get-a-clue response, I'm still hoping to coax Pilot into becoming intrigued by our mighty mounts, despite the major editorial shift change over there. I'd planned, as I may have mentioned, to simply arrange lunch with Al Marsh this coming month and show up at Frederick airport in my triple tail...but long suffering Russell has found yet another depressing list of things on my 'Master that are messed up <sigh>.

Now, back to planning for the tour beyond butchering the St. Crispin's Day speech from Henry the Fifth in the newsletter :oops:

Jonathan

What pray tell is wrong now! JB you have the patence of JOB, I WOULD OF TORCHED THAT THING after the Hyd. pack mess you boys went through. Lynn rib stitching done into the tedious taping--this takes forever ! :twisted:

Jonathan: I may be wrong, but I didn't see any mention of a -2. This is in regard to the caption, right?
Lynn: Patience, buddy, patience. Once flying again and enjoying the best ride in general aviation, you will both soon forget the tribulations, pain, longing and other deep emotions.

Easy for me to say 8)

Figures.
There's not an aviation mag out there that gives the "Cardboard Connie" its due- at least not in the past few years.

Indeed, Robert, they did not identify it specifically as a -2. All the caption actually says is that the Cruisemaster was the last of the Bellanca triple tails. The subject of the issue, however, was 1958 and the photo was a dreadful Photoshop mix of two variants.

Yes, Lynn, I must confess that I wish one of either two things had happened:

1. My 'Master caught fire *after* I'd gotten out of it, or...

2. That incompetent sociopath/crook of a shop owner in Albany, Oregon had given the sum he ended up charging to "repair" it as the estimate. Had he done so, the insurance company would have totalled it.

Either way I'd be done with it. My gawd I wish I were done with it. I would truly enjoy witnessing it receive a, pardon the pun, Viking funeral. Oh, how I'd love to watch it burn. Sorry, but it's the truth, alas.

Jonathan

Johnathon, Pleeeese be sure you mention to Pilot about the 14-19- "3" that always gets overlooked in most articles about our triple tails. The AOPA article in mention says that the 14-19-2 Cruisemaster in the photo was the last triple tail manufactured ????? AOPAs' research staff should be questioned about the time allotted for the research on this article !!! Duane 8852R

Again, this is disrespect born of omission rather than factual detail. The photo is some bland Photoshop creation mixing 1950-'51 tail wheel Masters with a vague caption. It's not that they got it wrong; they simply didn't get it. Other types manufactured that year got no mention at all, such as they Navion 260 with its optional Continental O-470 (the first truly fine engine used in Navions after the E series Continentals and the troublesome GO435). In 1960 both the Bellanca and the Navion had useful and significant model changes (the 260hp tricycle -3 for the former, and the Rangemaster for the latter) but these would have missed the time cut in both cases.

In any case ALL triple tails, of every type, are overlooked. I'm not sure there is a "Most Overlooked Triple Tail" award to be won...or coveted ;)

Oh, and I really don't want to see my Bellanca burst into flames. Just a moment of keen frustration :evil:

Jonathan

You know, it wasn't always this way.

I remember at least two magazine articles by Mike?() Cox (don't recall his first name) that generally gave the Triple Tails a good review. Mike had owned at least one over the years and gave a pretty upbeat review of the plane. One of these was in either Plane & Pilot or Private Pilot back in the 80s or early 90s. Both articles were several pages with good photos and a positive pilot reports.

I am away from my Bellanca archives on a business trip in Boulder, Colorado right now, so can't immediately put my hands on the articles. I also have the 1950 issue of Air Facts with a pilot report by Leighton Collins (father of Richard Collins) on the "new" 1950 14-19 Cruisemaster. If I recall correctly, he gave it a pretty positive review, too.

Over the years, I have run into several older pilots who, upon noticing my triple tail T-shirt or cap, have told me "You know, I used to have an old Triple Tail. I sold it and bought a XXXXXX. I wish I had kept the Bellanca."

In fact, I have only run into one pilot who was glad to be rid of his Bellanca - a Viking.

Dave York

Bill Cox of Plane & Pilot had a 14-19 and he wrote about it, he is just about the only one of the aviation writers who gave it good due. The rest of them are glass Cirrus or spam can boys, always the new crap never the classics, nice to read about something old and different but oh so rare for that to happen. Lynn :mrgreen:

The guy who was glad to be rid of the Viking probably had landing gear woes.

My only gripe about the Cruisair is the lack of elbow room. That being said, it's better than a Cessna 152!
Anyone know how a Cessna 172 compares as far as living space is concerned?

My take is this: You can buy a Bellanca and go relatively fast, or you can buy a Cessna 172 for alot more money and go alot slower. :lol:
Maybe the Bellanca World Tour will garner enough attention to warrant a comprehensive magazine article from EAA Vintage, Spor Pilot, or AOPA. That would be nice.
The last articles I can remember from Vintage was one on Ozzie Levi and one on a great-looking -260 nose dragger (can't remember the gent's name durn it).
I want to see an article that says everyone out there who doesn't value a triple tail as much as other comparable aircraft is crazy. I want it to say the owners of these classics are the most wonderful/ smartest people on the planet. I want it to compare the Cruisair with all other aircraft powered by a 150 to 165 horse engine and the Cruisemaster with like HP as well. I want it to conclude these classics are worth about 4 times their current market value. Is that too much to ask? :wink:

Bill Cox has owned two 14-19s over the years. He had a gear up many years ago. The main system failed and something prevented one of the gear legs from falling on its own. Exactly what I do not know; the cause was only referred to in that compendium of old newsletters mentioned in another recent topic.

We've exchanged email on the subject and he says he eventually chose a Mooney M20C for three primary reasons:

1. He did more and more instrument work (a major source of his income if ferrying new aircraft overseas and he *needs* to keep is IFR skills sharp). Although venturi powered gyros can work for IMC he felt safer with vacuum pumps.

2. It's far easier to find mechanics who know Mooneys.

3. Pre-201 Mooneys have SIMPLE landing gear systems. It's hard to beat that Johnson bar style design.

The second point is also relevant to 172s of course. Any mechanic can work on them. The benefits of a triple tail over a 172 are legion, of course, but if someone who does not fly often, pretty much stays close to home (as the VAST majority of GA pilots do) and never found anything lacking - except room and a tad more speed - in the 150/152 he trained in were to ask for my opinion...yeah, I'd point him toward a 172.

Jonathan

Back