Autopilots for 14-19-2

mattkoblenzer

What autopilot are available for a 14-19-2. Looking for a viable, modern, in production autopilot to install. Has any one been successful in updating the cruisemaster with 2axis pilot that will interface with GPS. (S-tec 50)
Matt

in the last year both flying magazine and Aviation Consumer have had articles or comments on
modern auto pilots.. one of the newest reported to be way better than the S-tek.

To my knowledge, there are no modern, viable autopilots that have an STC for the -2. Cobham (Stec) has none for any Bellanca. I've seen a couple with A/Ps that were done via field approval and a fair amount of effort.
Additionally, it takes a bit of work to install an A/P in an aircraft that's never had one. Finding a suitable location for the servos is a challenge and engineering/installing a mount usually means some significant work (like removing fabric to gain access for welding) - not that big of a deal if the plane is already stripped I guess.
GPS tie-in means a GPSS accessory for the Stec 50 according to their web info although I'm not sure why since most certified GPS units can do the math.. perhaps the A/P needs the intel in a different format. Then there's the new turn coordinator for roll detection, DG with a/p output for course guidance, certified GPS (handhelds wont do it).. then there's the elevator servo, some instrument to feedback altitude info....
You can easily spend the more than the plane is worth.

My Skylane has A/P tied in to all the goodies. I rarely use it and never rely on it. One of my partners only uses it to hold the wings level while he's folding charts - the guy just cant adapt to an iPad :) If it had not been in the plane when we bought it, I would never had it installed.

Back