Backup Electric Fuel Pump for Cruisair ?

blimpy

Is it worth the trouble and expense to provide electric fuel pump redundancy for the cruisair ?

I have plenty of stuff to spend money on already...and mech fuel pump was recently rebuilt.

Yes we have plenty of mountainous / forrested terrain ( and water) to fly over.

Seems like there are a couple of differnt ways people plumb these things.

And I suppose a variety of pumps one might try to use.

- just realized I should have searched the archives first -

comments ? :oops: :roll: :D

You didn't mention your wobble pump.... If it pumps fuel, that's your backup. If it doesn't, I know who will O/H it. That being said, I think a lot of Cruisairs have a 12v Bendix pulse pump...same thing a PA28 has. My 14-13 does and I can't remember if it has any paperwork to support it.
BTW, I knew a guy that flew his 14-13 from Hermosillo to Tucson back in the '50s with his wobble pump, only.
Dan

Jerry Sather tells about a man who flew his 1413 from Mexico to Minnesota using nothing but the wobble pump. I believe he lived in Maine but he always flew to Alexandria for annuals and apparently for a fuel pump. :D
Gary

Having never used a wobble pump, I have a hard time imagining doing all of the things that need to be done on a Cruisair approaching a landing , and pumping away with your left hand. How long does the pressure stay up between pumping? I am glad mine has the electric backup._____Grant.

I'd heard those wobble pump stories before... along with the tidbit that the thing will fly with something miniscule
like .5 (1/2) psi of fuel pressure.

Golly gee hope to shout it- yes - my wobble pump works...be lot harder to start without one.. and impossible to
properly preflight since the gascolator seems to give next to nada when drained without the preliminary wobble up to pressure. :wink:

given the wieght, plumbing, 337's , expense, and power draw.. I guess I'll pass...

Back