barely-there brakes

Chris Buerk

I recently acquired a beautiful Cruisair Senior with Bodell brakes. According to the previous owner, the A/C originally had Hayes brakes which he replaced with the Bodells. He said he only changed the brakes, not the cylinders up at the pedals. I am shocked at how weak the brakes are and am wondering if the cylinders are the problem. I'm tempted to put Clevelands on the airplane, but if I could just get the Bodells to work a bit better, I'd be happier. I intend to bleed the system and take the brakes apart to check for anything obvious, so I guess at this point I'm just looking for anyone's advice.

Brakes aside, I'm very pleased with the airplane in general. What a sporty little flyer!

thanks in advance for your help.

Chris:

Check out the earlier posting about Firestone Brakes. I understand now that Bodells used to be Firestone brakes and they are supported by a gent named Jim Greene.

http://www.bellanca-championclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=753

The Cruisair I am buying has the Firestone/Bodell Brakes and after sitting for about 6 months, they kind of froze up and wouldn't work at all. The owner took them apart, cleaned them and bled the system and now they work fine. They'll hold her in place at full throttle now.

Tim

Thanks, Tim

I have spoken to Jim Greene's wife (whose name eludes me at the moment) regarding parts and price lists. I haven't received any info as yet though.
This particular airplane has been dormant for about two and a half years so I wouldn't be surprised if they just need some TLC. I'll certainly go through them thoroughly before I go changing to anything else. I really like the design of the brakes, in that they're almost completely concealed within the wheel assembly. Seems to me to be a very good way to keep them clean and out of the slipstream.

Thanks again for your input.

It's a 1946 model that Bill Scott restored in 1989 (featured in Sport Aviation in early 90s). I dumb-dumbed into it right here at the airpark in NH where I live.

Cris,
Same here,
I am a new member to this club and just brought home a nice Cruisair Senior I just bought at beginning of october. No brake or almost none. I am planning to install an upgrade but haven't look at what is available yet. I heard good things about the Clevelands but did not had the chance yet to inquire. One thing is sure, those original ones don't worth much. :roll:
I will also be looking for a "gear crank" electric upgrade.
Alain.

I have Bodells on my Cruise Air-3, I had no brakes until I received a set of master cylinders from Jim and Madylin. You can hold the brakes and fly the tail now. I have no desire to put the heavier and bulkier Clevelands on....Greg

Success! We took the Bodell brakes off the airplane, including the master cylinders for each side and completely overhauled them. Turns out the brakes were on upside down (making them difficult or impossible to bleed completely) and the floating discs that contact the spinning composite discs were both in backwards. In addition, the discs were heavily glazed and the master cylinders had quite a bit of sludge in them. Needless to say, when we reinstalled the brakes right-side-up, assembled them correctly, filled them with bright red clean fluid and bled them, they worked; beautifully. They'll never be as strong as Clevelands, but they are perfectly safe and effective.

Back