Barnstormer Cruisemaster Ad

glennhake

Nice Cruisemaster advertised in Barnstormers (Taildraggers Bellanca). Besides the nifty motorcycle yokes the cowl flap placard caught my attention.
Didn't know that was an option.

http://barnstormers.com/cat.php?PHPSESSID=130cccb65ba2ed3da7e9355dd155d0f5

Yes, That caught my eye as well. But I also see that there is a red button in that spot instead of a 'T' pull handle.
I was wondering if the sub-panel originaly came from a 14-19, which I believe did have a cowl flap.
I had a 14-19-2 about 20 years ago, which had those cool 'ramshorn' control handles. The 14-19-2 I'm trying to buy right now has a different type that sort of curl up at the ends like cut off cruisair wheels. I wonder how many types of controls are available?
Another local 14-19-2 has ben refitted with viking control handles with push to talk buttons, very nice, and does not look 'out of place'.

Nope, that definitely is a -2 panel. They have a spot labeled Cowl Flap, probably because the panels were designed before the "We're Bellanca, eh?" incarnation of the firm discovered that the O-470 installation and updated cowl didn't need cowl flaps to run cool. Apart from layout and design, the tell-tale sign that it's a -2 panel is that it's made of fiberglass, not stamped metal like the 14-19, and you can often see those fabric weave artifacts at the edges of the panel.

There was a fellow who dropped by here 18 months or so ago who had purchased a Triple Tail with ram yokes and wanted to know where he could find original ones. A few members with spares stepped forward and happiness broke out. But I agree that the ram yokes have advantages - easy to install PTT switch, as you noted, plus better visibility of the panel - but you lose originality and the "At home in the air" plaque in the center. Simply a matter of taste.

Jonathan

It seemed, by the description, to be in decent, if not excellent shape...it was certainly priced like a 'Master that was. The ad noted that it was restored in 2000, but all sorts of things are described as restorations. The only negative element I noted was the complete Brittain TrueTrak autopilot system. I have the wing-leveler portion alone and it probably weighs 50 pounds. There was also a 14-19 listed, though, that seemed to be in less than splendid shape.

In fact, as I read the add for the -2 I must confess kicking myself a little (a LOT actually :) ) because I considered how much better off I would have been had I purchased it rather my ordeal of a Triple Tail :cry:

Jonathan

I think Northern Aircraft originally planned to have cowl flaps on the -2. If you look at the first five produced, the cowl flap is there, but riveted closed. Other differences were the metal door and nosebowl. My -2 is 52B, the third built, is one earlier than the listed airplane, which used to be owned by the original founder of the Bellanca Owners Society in San Jose, California.

Quite right, Dan - in fact some of the early reviews I read of the -2 noted the removal of the cowl flap with dismay. I forget the specific magazines...I used to regularly visit a fellow who had just about every aviation magazine ever published in the past 60 years neatly organized in his library (Mike - that would be Bill Tinkler if you're still lurking here :)). What struck me as strange was this one review where the author decried the cowl flaps's removal without actually flying the airplane and noting the temperatures in-flight. Fact is that the -2 didn't need the damned thing, period.

Jonathan

Guys I have seen this plane up close and you cannot find a better one. It came from Wichita Falls, TX. an older gentleman had it and had spent a fortune on it at the factory. He lost his medical and wanted to sell and naturally I didn't have the money at the time. It ended up selling for $40,000. I have seen a lot of nicely done airplanes but this one the best I have ever seen, excellent attention to details. I guess it all works out I now have my Cruisemaster with only 1352 hours since new. I hope I can make it as nice as this one is after recovering.....Greg

Baron- Planes are like wives. You think you get the perfect one, you realize its faults and start noticing all the ones that seem better (but really probably aren't) and then you finally realize that the faults are just "features". I got mine (the plane of course) thinking it would be perfect. It had been restored by an engineer who took no shortcuts and the plane had been on the cover of the EAA antique magazine, and in the EAA calendar and had won at Oshkosh. Believe me, it has problems! I am getting them sorted out and I am very pleased with what I now have. As perfect as this one sounds, I'll bet the new owner will have to pour money into it after he buys it.

Good counsel, Peter.

Deep down I realized this even as I typed the post. Plus I don't much care for the gold N-Number on the side, and I think whomever painted it got carried away with all the black detailing stripes. Also, despite my most unfortunate experience with my airplane, I can't help myself....I prefer the looks of the 14-19 and I know I'd always feel just a wee bit let down if I purchased a -2, though not for ANY RATIONAL REASONS I CAN IMAGINE. My airplane looks very nice. It was in Michael Terry's Aviation Legends calendar some years back, thus it's no ugly beater beast on the ramp.

Finally, Russell is nearly ready to fly it to me. Yeah, there are still problems and, yeah, he's going to include the proper wrench that will allow me to dump all hydraulic pressure should I ever encounter the situation again that froze my landing gear in the UP position. I think of it as one of those "In an emergency, break glass," axes, or (for you Python fans) the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, but she shines when she flies. That Triple Tail gleam will return to my eyes. As you all know, that gleam has the power to crush any mountain of regret.

Jonathan

Craig Don't know were you heard that price of $40000. I checked out the plane for the owner. We have been friends for a few years. My wife works for him. He paid $55000. He is looking to recop his wifes money. The plane is more than he wants to handle. :lol: :lol:

I think he was referring to the price when he saw it for sale, Randy.

Although the fellow paid 55 it is unlikely he'll get it, alas. For the first time in most people's memory used aircraft have stopped appreciating in value, and most are sadly losing value. Aviation Consumer has been monitoring this of course. Cubs, Champs, and a few others continue to appreciate. High performance retracts, though, have gone in the other direction since '01, though not as badly as twins did beginning in the '80s. Bellancas have never been on the appreciation trend, in either sense of the word. :cry:

Jonathan

I agree with you completly. He does not watch the market and is in deniel about prices. I try to tell him the plane is nice but for $55000 you can buy a nice Viking. :lol: :lol:

Your right, if the gear moves and the prop moves you have lost value! Only a fool like myself would pay 55k for a Cruisemaster. I value these pigs as 35K airplanes. I love the thing and spend all kinds of money on it. After I'm done with the covering and put some more time on it ,45K is the best you could hope for. Lynn N9818B :mrgreen:

Well....of course Randy is right...he usually is. But I ask you this. Both are worthy machines, of course, and there is no right answer to this question, but would you rather have sex with a gal who drives a forklift, or a dancer?

Heard the strangest off-hand remark at the airport today. An old guy told me he picked up a Viking at an estate sale cheap. "It flew great and had Bonanza speed, but the airplane would fly me from Omni to Omni without my doing a thing. Had to sell it. Too damned much equipment." :)

Jonathan

Back