Battery box 7KCAB

awright

I am replacing my Citabria battery with a smaller rg-25xc sealed battery and was wondering it there were any negatives to not using the battery box. The current battery box doesn't fit the smaller rg-25 as it was for a bigger Giles 35 battery. So I Was thinking about just not using it and saving a little weight and keeping the battery open for ease of charging. From what I understand the Concorde RG-25 is totally sealed already and is non-spillable in any attitude. Thoughts/ Suggestions? Thanks.

I do not think that there is a work around to the box. Check out this link of current AD's, and look at AD 72-18-03. http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/Frameset?OpenPage

GREG

Thanks for the info Greg. Yea doesn't look like it differentiates between and sealed and non-sealed battery. I basically just used the old battery box and but a couple of wood spacers in the box to hold the new battery tight.

I bought the current battery box for the Concord 25 from ACA abd installed it with the Concord, in my 8KCAB.
The price was reasonable, and I have the correct installation.
BB

I replaced my battery in a 1979 7GCBC with an Odyssy PC680 and My AME built me an appropriate box to suit. This battery only weighs about 15 lbs. I have used it from July of this summer to Mid October and no problems. If interested in seeing a picture of the install, send me a request to This battery is also cranking over an upgradede 160 HP 0-320
Tom

That looks real nice Tom I am a fan of the lighter weight of that battery however It says it requires FAA field approval for other airframes. How hard was that to get?

I replaced the Concord battery in my 2000 GCAA with the Odyssey SBS J-16. American Champion sells a kit with wood blocks, 2-sided tape to position the wood blocks in the battery box, and drawing. This made it very simple to have my IA do a field approval.

sunderland said:
I replaced the Concord battery in my 2000 GCAA with the Odyssey SBS J-16. American Champion sells a kit with wood blocks, 2-sided tape to position the wood blocks in the battery box, and drawing. This made it very simple to have my IA do a field approval.

I'm not sure what you are saying. An IA cannot "field approve" anything. Do you mean that the IA filed a 337, and the battery has an STC, or that the installation is approved by ACA?
Bill Becker

Its a TC approval (no S). We have a box that is designed for the Concord RG-25; we then have a small kit to adapt the box for the smaller Odyssey battery. Both are factory data. You should not need a 337, but there is no harm in doing so. The slight W&B change makes it a grey area as to requiring it or not.

Back