Bellanca During WWII

CruisairPilot

Dan,
I enjoyed your article in the January 2010 issue. I know Bellanca Aircraft was a subcontractor during World War II, but what is the story about about GM Bellanca? I know he was at Higgins Boats during the War and returned to New Castle after hostilities were over. Any thoughts on why?
Gary

I read somewhere (can't remember where...must be CRS) that he had trouble because of his national origin...we weren't too friendly with Italy from late '41 to late '43. I guess the fact that he had been in the US for thirty years or so didn't enter into rational thought at that time...I will refrain from commenting on current politics 'cause this isn't the place (though I can't help but say that TSA, or Thousands Standing Around, has got to be one of the biggest waste of money in a long time!)

I don't think Bellanca had anything to do with boats.........But, I'd like to hear of any info, otherwise. Bellanca Aircraft kept busy as a subcontractor, building wood and metal assemblies for Martin and Fairchild, which were 'next door neighbors.' Bellanca Aircraft built a few AT-21 gunnery trainers- a Fairchild designed twin engine, all wood, monoplane. I think this activity kept him away from boat building in Louisiana. Dan

Dan,
I did some research at NASM about 10 years ago. According to their records, GM was at Higgins Industries from 1941 to 1943. Andrew Higgins was starting an aviation division at that time for a plywood, troop transport plane. GM was the head of this new division (this is also corroborated by a TIME magazine article back in 1942). GM certainly had the knowledge and expertise to build in wood, but why for another company?
Larry,
You might have a point about his heritage coming back to bite him. If he had any curious associations from back in the old country, he may have been required to relinquish control in order to secure any government contracts for Bellanca Aircraft.
Gary

Back