Bellanca factory Service Kits

gjordan

I just received 6 CDs from the Feds for Cruisairs. I am gathering paperwork so my IA can re-construct my logs that were lost in a fire a while back. I have been aware of factory service kits for a long time, but never could get any information on them. I once saw a list of S.K.s up to number 15, but I had seen an S.K.#18 which was putting a 14-19 aux tank behind the Cruisair seat. I have just discovered from reading CDs that there was an S.K. for Cleveland Brakes for a Cruisair and an S.K. to convert the landing gear on a 14-13-2 and make the plane a 14-13-3. When I called the factory about the aux tank S.K. (many years ago) they were not interested in helping. I wonder if the information might be at the Smithsonian or even buried at the Bellanca factory, being ignored. A friend of mine went through hell trying to get Clevelands approved for his Cruisair, not knowing that the factory had approved them decades ago. Information on the Clevelands is on the CD for N74414. It says Cleveland wheel and brake kit #199-0600 as per Bellanca Drawing no S.K.234-4011 and manufacters Instruction. It feels like we are always having to re-invent the wheel. Sorry for the rant. ____Grant.

Grant,
I owned '414 as a project back in the '70s. It was rebuilt a few years later. You own it now?
I have '413 as a project now....too many projects...
Dan

414 is owned by one of our members. Bill Archiball. It was owned by Kirk Wilder in Booneville for about 10 years. This is a small community and I have seen lots of names that I recognize when I am doing research. I would think that the factory would have records of some of the service kits, since many of them were 14-19 mods put onto the 14-13. The present company has the TC for the 14-19. Dan, do you have much (any?) information on S.K.s ? _____Grant.

I don't have much info......
If the SK were done before GM sold the 14-19 TC et al., the Bellanca family would own the information.
Dan

I have the paper work from when they installed them on N86845 that came in a file with our plane, the year was 1978

I would like to know why some of the 337 call for kit 199-0600 and others call for kit 199-46 the later kit is a whole lot less expensive?

My guess (and it is only a guess) is that 199-0600 was what was available when Bellanca made up the Service Kits and they never upgraded them. I think many different models of Clevelands have been put on with 337s but each time you have to convince some fed that it is a good idea. My friend that had such a hard time getting the Reno office to approve Clevelands was told that they were too powerful for the weight of the plane and it would end up on its nose. He finally found out that the model brakes he wanted to use were already approved on Cessna 120s and when presented with that, they gave him approval for the much heavier Cruisair. If the paperwork for the S.K. had been available to prove that the factory had a standard Cleveland modification, I think it would have been much easier. So much information has been lost over the years that would make for safer and better aircraft. _____Grant.

Back