Bellanca for sale

Larry Lowenkron

this was posted on Barnstormers...now's your chance!

BELLANCA ASSETS • $250,000 • ASKING PRICE SLASHED • Alexandria Aircraft LLC is offering all it's Bellanca Assets for sale. This includes (2) type Certificates A18CE and 1A3, all data, inventory, tooling, jigs and fixtures. It also includes a new fuselage and a new set of wings along with several used disassembled aircraft. For more information call Craig or Randy at 320-763-4088. • Contact Craig Smith - ALEXANDRIA AIRCRAFT LLC, Owner - located Alexandria, MN United States • Telephone: 320-763-4088 • Fax: 320-763-4095 • Posted January 22, 2020

I just checked TAP and a Bellanca 14 19 2 is now for sale at $24K. This plane is just like mine with near the same times. Not a good sign for any future sale. It's more like Make it go Away! :( Lynn the crate

I am going to keep making parts as needed and fly mine until I am too old to keep the needles centered any more. I guess I won’t worry about the market value of the plane, but I would like the factory to keep going. It has been very convenient to get what part they do have from them.

Yeah, I'm not looking to sell mine anytime soon, if ever. She's too unique and good performing for the money. Really sucks that they're selling off though, guess we'll probably be seeing fewer triple-tails as time goes on.

I've been doing my best to track the active fleet and there seems to be a positive trend with some of the hangar queens changing hands and a few actually returning to active flight status. But there is a problem. Actually there are several problems. First of all most of the barn finds are in need of new fabric, often substantial engine work, and almost always some serious avionics upgrades. To address these issues with a eye towards a first class restoration this is a $50K+ undertaking (minimum). If you have the skill and credentials to do this on your own it still represents a major investment in time and still a bunch of money. Don't ever think of a nicely restored triple-tail Bellanca as a smart investment strategy. Unless you happen to be a passionate Bellanca lover like a few of us here, there are many competing options for making such an investment in time and money. Older Bonanzas for example. While many 60 year old Bonanzas are riddled with corrosion problems, there are many that are not. But no matter how carefully you take care of an aging Bellanca, they will need new fabric at some point - the market cost of a covering job is $25-40K. Then there is the very real problem that when older Bellancas change hands landing accidents with the new owners are all too prevalent, putting these planes right back in the salvage yard. The Bellanca factory assets will survive in one form or another. However this resource is only a piece of the puzzle. Only when the aircraft market recognizes the quality of the Bellanca 14 series and 17 series with the same level of respect as given to a Waco, a Stearman, a Staggerwing, or even an older Bonanza will our fleet be taken seriously as the classic that it really is and with the values to match.

Well said Rob. I wouldn't touch another covering job for all the tea in China. You won't realize what work is involved with this let alone the money. When I saw the Cruisemaster asking for 24K, it would cost a min of 35K to cover it. I know as I been there and have done that. Lynn the crate

Rob's statement about the safety record of new owners is correct. I am aware of three triple tails wrecked by new owners in he past two years.
As a general rule [ according to my contacts with the FAA and NTSB], one in five airplanes that change hands is involved in an accident in the first 10 hours or 60 days. Many are fatal. Recently, on Barnstormers, I've seen flyable airplanes for sale that appeared a couple weeks later as "damaged rebuild projects." I'd say lack of experience and inadequate checkout by a COMPETENT instructor.

Dan, Now that is where the hard part is, how many CFI's are out there any more that knows how to fly these early aircrafts? I am lucky enough to of found Tom Wright close to me to help me out. He is no longer a CFI and some of his other ratings he use to carry but the insurance company is happy with his creds to help me out. I do not want to be the guy that purchased one of these and spent tons of money to put it back into the air to end up with a piece of junk like the Red one in Ravenna Ohio did a couple years ago. Five hours of tail dragger time is not enough for a plane you have never flown it may be for a Cub but not some thing with a whole lot more power behind it.

Back