Bellanca's Low Prices ? What is it I don't understand ?

blimpy

I am totally baffled by the low prices commanded by the Bellanca Cruisair, and Cruismaster.

Take a look at the prices for :

Monocoupe

Gull Wing Stinson

Fairchild 24

Mooney Mite

Piper Pacer, J-5 ,

Other than the Mite, you can't get a flying example under $30K and it is easy to pay double that.

These all have wooden wings
These all have far more obscure engines than a Franklin ( Warner, Ranger, 65 hp Lyc, ) except the pipers.
They all cost just as much to insure

Except for the Mite, they all cost more per mile to fly for fuel and oil.

Do we have to let our numbers drop down to 50 examples or less flying to get some respect ?

Our airplanes don't have magnesium tail feathers that dissolve into piles of powdered unobtanium,
or wing spars that let loose in flight like the Bonanzas of similar vintage, and nobody ever called them
Doctor Killers.

I mean this is a world where people shell out $50K and up for a YAK.
Noisy smelly and weird.

My plan, strip off the structural plywood covering on my wings and substitute cloth.
Stuff a oil belching radial in the nose... the more obscure the better.
Paint War Bird Emblems on it, and wear a jump suit.
Put up a website saying they fly best upside down.
Install fake bombs under the wings.
Add colored smoke.
Fly in formation ( 500 feet over occupied schools like I saw the local millionaire P-51 guys do )

Will this help ? :twisted: :mrgreen:

There a variety of reasons - some are legitimate, many are false perceptions..

Insurance can be higher, having retracts and tail wheels and such..
Since finding an A&P that can work on it is tough, the market is more limited to DIY mechs so, lower demand. The Cruiseair's Frank compounds that along with the Lyc on the 14-19s
We all know the pros and cons about wood, most people in the market for a plane don't so, they shy away further lowering demand.
Recently my C-182 needed a re-seal. I dragged it over to an FBO and some 20-something A&P fixed it up in half a day - and did a nice job, cost $480. If I was to do that with my -3 they would have given me a blank stare. (of course, my -3 would never need it)

so it takes a special person to successfully live with a Cruiseair/master.

There's a HUGE benefit though.. Special people can get super-good planes for very low prices :)

I agree with all the above. My 14-19 has the O-435A, which Lycoming would like to see go away. Ditto with Hartzell and the "Hydro-Selective" prop. So too, the hydraulic powerpack and engine driven pump. Many orphaned systems on mine.
I've had people say to me "Hey, what about that A.D. note on the wing?" It can be a teachable moment for them, when I explain it isn't any more onerous during an annual inspection, than the inspection for a tin airplane.

It has to be pointed out to some that the Bellanca is a bargain. For me, the low wing Bellancas supply everything I want in a light airplane: Utility; looks; reasonable performance; some complexity; uniqueness. Not to mention a heritage that predates Cessna, Piper, Beech, etc. I can't think of another airplane I would rather have. Tom Robinson

Doc and Tom, you both hit it right on the head! I also think that Cruisairs/Masters just do not aesthetically appeal to many people. To paraphrase Jonathan Barron, we are a strange lot. We fly a unique plane. I still love pulling up to the gas pits at some airport I haven't been to and folks come out of the woodworks to talk about my plane. But only one person ever expressed interest in buying (and he was a flake).
I took a friend up to Van's Aircraft where he wanted to look at, and fly an RV7. A bunch of Van's folks came out to look at my plane!

Considering the used aircraft market, we just seem to be standing still. Triple tails (with the exception of cherry 14-19-2s) have always been at the lower priced planes on the market. As was previously said, wood, fabric, tailwheels, and "unique" engines and props are reflected in the market price.
Maybe if we see a pilot report in the aviation press, there may be some movement...or not!

I am still curious to see how many Cruisairs are actually out there. The last date to register planes for the first registration go around is Dec 31. I intend to update my data base in Jan to see how many are on the registry. Of course it won't be totally accurate as many "projects" have been reregistered, but it should be closer to reality.

Yes the bottom fell out. I have a friend in the Aircraft selling market. I looked up the blue book value of a 1958 14-19-2, sit down the avg price was 28K. WOW did I take a hit. I would be lucky to get what I paid for it 12 yrs ago before I rebuilt the whole thing.There is no market as we are gray, bald and old. It is a buyers market and there are no buyers. Oh by the way my friend has sold 5 planes this year------> they all went to South America and they were all Cessnas. Lynn the crate :(

Ok... so it's like I told the hamburger kid at McDonald's :

"People are stupid- keep that in mind and the whole world starts making sense. "

.... :roll:

Actually if you pay that for the initial price of a Mooney or Pre H model Bonanza, you will end up paying more by your first annual (unless it is a P51 annual) unless you are really lucky and find one of those really rare deals that everyone dreams exist, but are not as common as everyone wants to believe. I have seen some of those <$28k planes, and don't think I would want to put my $ there.
I have seen some C-masters listed for that, and really wonder what they look like in real life. Probably those may be worth while pursuing. hmmm, I wonder...

I just ran across a couple of ads for M20 Mooneys.. the original 1956 versions, with wooden wings.
There was a pristine example, with 0-320 or 0-360 engine and constant speed prop.. for $20K

So, I guess all you have to do is say " wooden wing" or "wooden tail" and pop goes the weasel.

Pst.. don't tell anybody what's inside a Piper Cub Wing !

Back