Bigger Tires for the Scout

joejenie

When I bought my Scout 6 months ago, I was going to put 26" bushwheels on with the bigger tailwheel but decided to leave it stock to train in. Well now I'm ready to change up to bigger tires and was wondering what is out there? I've heard of guys using 26" Goodyears which are suppose to hold up longer if you land on pavement frequently (which I do) and I've heard of Alaskan Bush Tires. What sizes do you recommend and where do I get the new tailwheel setup? Thanks in advance.

Joe:

Check out this website for some info: http://www.akbushwheel.com. A fellow named Wupp (Derek) Winn is the sales rep and he is also a regular participant in the backcountrypilots.org forum. I'm sure he'd be able to answer some of your questions.

Joe in MT.

I guess the bigger question is why would I pay $2,700 for the two main 26" Alaska Bush Tires when you can get the Goodyear 26" for around $940? Why so big of a difference? Secondly, are 26" enough or do people recomend going with the 31's. I plan on mainly landing on some grass strips and some fields in front of my cabin in WY.

Secondly, is Alaska Bushwheel the only place to get the tailwheel STC for the bigger setup? Is it the same as mine or different? Do you need the rear tire only or the whole tailwheel system?

Joe, change your sig!!

hehe

Grass strips are supposed to be happy with a 600x6. (I did say 'supposed to') :)
You might see how the 850's do.

The AK bushwheel 'fat' tail wheel is basically a new lower assembly. Namely, bigger forks for a wider tire. Stock 8GCBC is the 8 inch Scott clone from AK. Compatable parts, of course.

Fixed! :oops:

I'm not really looking to land on creek beds or really crazy places like some videos have shown. What I'm looking to do is mainly land on some dirt roads (I have a cabin on a long dirt road) and grass strips and fields. I guess I could try the stock stuff first, but I've been told by several people that the bigger tires are a little safer and easier to land.

Joe:

I have 8.5 x 6's on my 7 GCBC and have had no problem landing on the grass strips in Montana and the mountains around here. I don't land on strips where there is a lot of rocks though, like beaches or river bars and if I did, I probably would think about bush wheels. Given what you've described, I think bush wheels might be overkill.

Joe in MT.

check out alaska floats they are making garero adapters and the fat back tail wheel much cheaper and tires are plentyfull

8:50's or bushwheels. Goodyears are blimp tires and do not have the flex bushwheels or 8:50's do. Let some air out of your 8:50's to make em a little soft and the footprint is as big or bigger than blimp tires and they will handle some rough stuff. I have been all over AK on 8:50's by the way and now run 31's on my scout. I would highly recommend staying away from the goodyears. They are NOWHERE near the tire a bushweel is, no matter what you are told. My opinion.

I have 29" Bushwheels on my Scout. I was told me they handle the weight a little better than 31s. I also run their tail wheel.
Like akflyhunt said, Goodyear's are not even close.
I land on pavement most of the time, So far I really like them alot. :lol:

I have Alaska Bushwheels on my new Scout. At first I planned on changing the wheels back to 850's while I took some lessons on my bird, however after using the 31" wheels for awhile I dought I ever change back to the 850's .
In my oppinion put the 31" ones on. A little harder to get into the plane due to their hight, lots more money, and they will slow you down a few miles per hour, but well worth the disadvantages.
Ken.....

In my oppinion put the 31" ones on. A little harder to get into the plane due to their hight, lots more money, and they will slow you down a few miles per hour, but well worth the disadvantages.
Ken.....[/quote]

What are your advantages, specifically. I'm probably going to be good with my new 850's on my 160HP explorer...mostly pavement with several short grass strips mixed in...what other advantages are you experiencing. And is it more or less difficult landing with those big fattys?

If you are mostly landing on pavement and fairly smooth grass strips. I would recommend you stay with your 850's.
I land about half my landing on rough grass, sand bars, beachs,and farm fields and wouldn't be without the big tires.
The big tires are very easy to use and are much easier on your plane in rough conditions. They also float over wet muddy ground much easier. I also recommend the large tail wheel for my type of flying.
Ken......

In my opinion put the new stc 35 alaska bushweels on,go big or stay home ...put the baby bush on the back, and no worrys mate werever you have to land...

When the 850's wear out I might go big...

I have a question...

My tires cant inward quite a lot under a load and even slightly when empty and low on fuel...is there a shim kit or something that can at least get them vertical in a lighter config? Or is this just the way they are? 2001 7GCBC

Call the nice folks at ACA...they sell shims for adjusting camber or toe in/out so be clear on your needs. I have three per side on mine (the max you can use) and my tires are still slightly in at the top. Much better than before though.

I have a 7ECA with 26" Goodyears. They've done good for a few years now. This spring I tried a set of 26" Bushwheels, and they handle the bumps a lot better. The only problem for me is they seem to wear a bit more on pavement than the Goodyears did, and being a little bigger they took a little more to get rolling than the Goodyears did. So for my plane the Goodyears win out.

Now, if my plane was a Scout, there'd be no question. I'd get the 31" Bushwheels!

Back