'Borer' Props or Sea Plane Props

jeffidaho

I"m looking for an STC or other approval to put a McCauley 'Borer' prop or seaplane prop. They make one for the S7GCBC and I would like to put one on my 7GCBC. Clearance will not be an issue as I have 29" bush tires. I ask McCauley support and this was their response.

"Jeff,
I did not see an STC called out the Borer propeller for the Citabria 7GCBC. What direction I would suggest is the S7GCBC uses the 1A175/GM7649, or 1A175/GM8040, and I would try for a one time field approval for this installation, as it is the same engine, propeller, and almost the same airframe.

I HAVE A 7GCBC AND HAVE THE McCAULEY 1A175/GM8040 PROP INSTALLED. IT IS A TYPE CERT. PROP FOR THE PLANE. ALL YOU NEED IS A LOG BOOK ENTRY. SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE THE NECESSARY GROUND CLEARANCE. I HAVE SCOUT GEAR WITH 29" BUSH TIRES. B

how did you put Scout gear on your 7GCBC? I looked into that a little and American Champion told me they would'nt bolt up without frame mods. Although I do have the Scout Tail Spring and Rudder Arm.

I had it done in Fairbanks by Northland Aviation. He has a multiple field approval for this installtion. The gear has to be drill to fit 7 frame. I have had these on for 3 years now and it sure takes the pucker factor away on rough terrain. Only problem is that they are so heavy. Gained 30#.... I have been wanting to put the alum gear on. There is a guy up here that had it done, but it was a one time STC. I have since heard that it is being done in Minn. It uses Grove gear, specialy made up for 7GCBC. I will check with the IA in Willow,AK to see if it still is avail. Saves a bunch of weight. B

Actually I talked to Northland since I replied and they confirm what you say. He has an approval for it but ONLY if they do the install. Yea 30 lbs hurts us Citabria boys :) I already gained 33 lbs with the 29's and baby bush tail. I'm by myself most of the time anyway.

Back