Brake Diagnostics

shazam

We have a 71 ECA with heel brakes. The left brake got soft last fall so, suspecting a lack of fluid, and taking the lazy man's way out, I disconnected the line at the top of the master cylinder just behind the brake pedal, and filled it up. It worked thru the rest of the fall and what little we flew last winter. Ditto for the first few flights of the spring. The pedal got soft again, so I repeated the procedure yesterday. I re-assembled the fitting, and still not up to par, so I took it back apart, and squirted a bit more in.

While the fitting was still open, I had someone push gently on the pedal while I was looking underneath. There are what appear to be two 'overflow'? tubes (1/16" copper) that exit near the centerline of the fuselage, and the fluid was coming out of the left one.

I did not try the test again after I re-assembled the fitting....duh.

Anybody got an idea what's going on? I've got the maintenance/parts manuals and will dig them out later today. Thanks!

Jim

Jim-

You should bleed and fill the brakes from the bottom, there is a nipple on the bottom of the brake housing that you attach a hose and a small squirt can filled with 5606 to, open the nut just above the nipple and pump until a steady stream of fluid vents.

Tom-

Outstanding, Tom! Thanks so much! God, I love this list!!!

Now if the snow would just go away. 60's last Saturday and an inch of snow on the ground this morning! Go figger!! :)

Jim

What's the proper procedure to bleed brakes when you don't have a nipple on the bleed screw at the bottom? All I have been able to do is have someone crack the screw at the bottom a quarter turn while I pump the brake one time. He closes the screw at the bottom then I release the brake, refill the master cylinder and do it again. I don't think this has been effective at removing air. Brakes are still bottoming out.

Back