Brake Hose Length(cleveland) Scott Rebuild kit? Lockheed#5??

blimpy

Annual begins next week 14-13-2 . Need info on following ?

A.
Flexible brake hose length ( botton section) for installation of cleveland Kit 146-99 ( per club booklet)
- want to order these now.. if anybody has the right dimension and fitting sizes.

B. If I need to rebuild my Scott master cylinder... is there a kit available, or std o-rings ?

C. Lockheed #5 Hydraulic fluid is called out for the GEAR LEGS... this is an archaic number.
No findee x-reference on internet. Is 5606 red hydraulic fluid ( Shell 41) the correct stuff to use to
flush / refill / top off with ?

Blimpy, Cleveland brakes wont work worth a darn with the original Scott master cylinders. There have been previous posts about the difference between high volume/low pressure brakes and low volume/high pressure brakes. If the paper work from the club doesnt list Cleveland masters, then I think that pulling the CD for N74231 might list them. I think I remember the masters as being model 10-20, but I am not sure. The correct length is very important to get the brake pedal angle to be comfortable. Maybe Jim Green from Bodel brakes will know which masters are compatible. ____Good luck with it.____Grant.

Thanks Grant.

Oh Crap ! led down the garden path only to get rolled in an alley.

Yup... the pricey little club pub says the existing ( scott 4000 ) mastercylinder will work.
almost as useless as the one they publish about the electric gear system !

Now that I am $1850 into this in parts.. I sure don't want to drop another $ kilobuck for more
stinking hardware I'll have to adapt and 337 !!!

Now what the S**t do I do ?

Parker/Cleveland says the pressure will be 500 psi for 2150 gross weight...
not a lot by haudraulic standards.... wonder what it is with the expander tube brakes ?

What master cylinders did the Goodyear (disc) Brakes use that were also std equip on
cruisairs ??

comfortable heck... when I am multi-pumping the right hayes trying to get anything...
and the anything can be either a slow friction or a jolly grab right now...
what's comfort got to do with it ? ( appologies to Tina Turner )

let me go hit my self in the head with a rubber mallet and I'll be back when
the morale has improved.

I learned the hard way on another Cruisair about Clevelands and the original masters. Didnt stop worth sh@#. Helped to change over to Cleveland masters and it was perfect. My own has Cleveland masters, but the stupid little paper I.D. tags have washed off and the log books dont specify what model they are, but they sure work good. Overall length is important and if the bottom attach point is a fork or a blade. We need the blade on the bottom of the cylinder. Faith Aviation(just outside of Sacramento) might have compatible masters, but you would have to send them good drawings or an old cylinder and ask for compatible ones. Good luck with paperwork.____Grant.

two steps forward and one step back.

Great... well I can just hold off installing the clevelands... and fix whatever is wrong with my Hayes Brakes.

Either the right side needs bleeding, or the master cylinder needs rebuilding ( or I will find red puddles in my wings ! )

I have the original Scott 4000 master cylinders.

I am going to buy a cheap hydrualic pressure guage and see what kind of pressure they produce.

Here 's a question... will the Viking master cylinders bolt into the Cruisair without a lot of hoo-haw?
I bet I can score those from the Tim Kingaman in AZ who sold me the viking axles.

Too much to hope for...?

I dont think Viking masters are the same length. I saw a Cruisair with 14-19-3 masters, and the pedals were so far back that it was almost imposable to steer without hitting the brakes. The geometry was just not right. Maybe contacting a cleveland dealer with the actual length of the scotts could come up with something.___Good Luck____Grant.

Grove aircraft http://www.groveaircraft.com has a nice online catalog with mucho aircraft master cylinders for about $200 each. Some have a bore option of 1/2 or 9/16 inch as well as the standard 5/8 inch, all in various lengths. So, this might be another option, Blim.

I was cruising this site because they have Cleveland-like wheels and brakes.
My project has Goodyears which worked great, but replacement part prices for the Goodyears are not just airplane crazy, but bizarre. Replacing the disc clips and pucks (easily hold in one hand) ~$1400.00 . Thus my motivation to look around for alternatives.

BTW, my 1st choice of a replacement would have been the Firestone/Adams/Bodell/Skybound, but availability/support seemed nonexistent or flakey. Then I would have to get some low pressure/high volume master cylinder replacements, your problem in reverse.

r.

Might be mistaken... but I think Grove is experimental stuff... like matco and others.

NFG for the cruisair.

IF you need low pressure high volume.. why not get the scott= # 4000 that your plane was designed with.
there is one main O-ring... a std hydraulic item. One flat rubber washer on the shaft that can be replace
by a standard 0-ring.. and one larger flat rubber washer that doesnt wear.. so if it isnt rock hard it will
be ok.. and maybe a hydraulic place can match.

total cost 1-2 bucks

If I have to change.. you can buy mine.

Grove has two versions of essentially the same master cylinder. See AC Spruce

FAA/PMA Certified ( with STC for Maule and something else) $549 ea. with integral parking brake valve.

Same thing without FAA/PMA sticker and no parking brake * $219 from AC Spruce.

* Physically a Dead ringer for the Scott 4000... but produces the needed 500 psi for the Cleveland brakes.
Available in the 7.5 inch length necessary for the cruisair. ( match cyl displacement to your brakes requirements).

Back