Brakes for a Cruisemaster

crumast

I'm planning on replacing the old expander tube system with either Clevelands or Bodell. Anyone with some insights on the pros and cons of either. I've been told that the old master cylinders and axles work with the Bodells, but not the Clevelands. I'm concerned about product support with the Bodells, however. A company called Skybound, in Georgia, has been trying to get the Bodell STC signed over to them through some FSDO in California over the last several years. I don't understand why it's taking so long. Hence, my concern.
So, cost vs. concern. Any ideas? Thanks. Tom.

hey tom!
i ran bodells on my 108-3 stinson for over 15 years and only had to reline the disks once. they are a very efficient brake and compact as well. i bought the parts from the folks at skybound and the price and service was excellent.
i don't know what's taking so long for the paperwork transfer except to say that you're dealing with the faa. 'nuff said.
i believe the bodells (firestones back then) were a basic factory option on the bellanca and so could be installed with just a logbook entry (ref the TCDS 1A3, item #201b). i plan on replacing the clevelands on my 14-19 with a rebuilt set of bodells next year.
hope this helps.
blue skies,
vic steelhammer & N522A

Vic, Thanks for the reply. I'll probably go with the Bodells. Easier on the wallet and easier on the paperwork than the Clevelands. Tom.

Tom, I have Cleveland Wheel and brakes on my 14-19-2. They are an STC SA294GL from Weber. Same stuff as Cessna 180/182. Work great and maintenance free. LYNN N9818B :D

I'd have to agree with LYNN, I put clevelands on my cruisair about three years ago, they have been maintenance free, brake ten times better than my old bodell's, and futhermore, I can get parts from anywhere, not that I need them. My bodell's did not work worth a crap, and often left me wondering flying into our 1800 ft. strip at 5000 ft....I've since then never worried about it. I have single pucks on mine, which many 180's and 182's in the early days had....I'm assuming lynn has double pucks which many later models had. We have single pucks on the cruisair and the 170, and doubles on the 180 and cubs, both are flawless, and I love them a bunch more than a bodell, but opinions are just like......well you get the point.

Merritt

Merritt, what kind of problems did you run into with the Bodells. Did the system come with the plane or did you install new? As for the Clevelands, did you use Webers STC?Tom.

The bodell's I had weren't originals, they were added in 1985. The were not inherently bad, and a far shot better than some brakes out there. My major problem is the brake pads were constantly cracking and jamming up the brake, which did me no good. When I had it happen three times in one year, that was enough for me.

As for the STC....my clevelands are on a cruisair, and when I did them I 337'd them using the stc from weber's for a cruisemaster. things have been great since. Getting the old axle's out to install the viking axles was not much fun as they were pretty much glued in place, and the stc forgets to mention to get the axle spacers also, which are easy enough to come by, just slowed me down for a few days. Overall and easy install process.

The other reason for moving the bodell's is that the clevelands are the same model I use on our 170, so my parts department was already in place.

Once again, the bodell's aren't bad, I just think a cleveland is probably the easiest way to go myself, and a bodell seems to be way more parts and just not as much reliability.

If you have any cleveland instalation questions, let me know.

Merritt

Back