broken longeron

chuckmaus

At a recent fly-in ... after shut down, a willing, but uninformed parking assistant applied lateral pressure to the fuselage (on an area clearly marked "no push" .. ??) of my 7GCBC .. resulting in the severing (a clean break) of one of the two top wooden longerons .. the break is just forward of the vertical stab and a few inches aft of one of the last formers .. the area involved is visable through an inspection portal on the bottom of the fuselage, but can possibly be reached from within .. somebody small and agile entering from the cockpit ... has anyone had this happen, and what is a recommended fix? .. in lieu of disturbing the fabric, I'de rather solve the malady conservatively .. perhaps a custom formed metal sleeve connector? .. any and all suggestions would be appreciated .. Thanks

You should be able to have to open book on repair here. Its a cosmetic item; so it should be signed off as a minor repair.

No biggie.......Years ago, my Dad was pushing his 7GCB backwards and the tailpost broke free of the two lower steel longerons. Dan

Back