Building Experience

bookmaker

I am still relatively new flying with conventional gear and still skiddish with crosswind landings. Well today I added to my experience level.

I took off runway 36 with winds coming from about 030 at 9kts. Flew around for a while in the nice cool temps around here. On my way back to the airport I checked the ASOS and it said winds were 040 at 13 gusting to 19. Well, that sure increased the pucker factor. Higher than any previous crosswind I have landed.

I decided it wasn't going to get any better, so I called a straight in for 36 and headed down the approach. On short final I noticed the wind sock looked an awful lot more crosswind that quoted then the ASOS said 060, 14 gusting to 19. Ugh!. Our airport has 2 runways; 36/18 and 08/26. I called an abort, and swung around set up for 08. Of course, the wind shifted again.

The final result was winds from 030 to 040, 13 gusting to 19. I made a nice approach to a wheel landing on 08. The old no bounce gear held steady as a rock and straight as an arrow.

I bought this plane to get tail wheel experience. Sure is fun. :D
Dale

Back