Burning man or Black Rock 88NV

scottpolo

My (new to me) 1967 Citabria was stripped the tubes, bead blasted, epoxy coated and recovered 1998 and has lived in a hanger ever since. My daughter wants me to pick her up at the last days of burning man in Black Butte NV (face it, I like the idea and it's supposed to be quite a show from the air). Temporary dirt strip, very dusty, Alkaline dust. I’d be there overnight. The dust permeates everything and causes corrosion. Should I pass or should I go? Seems like a blast but I really don’t want to damage my new beauty…

Any thoughts or opinions would be helpful. I've not owned a steel tube fabric airplane before.

My concerns would be with the finish, not the structure; very little of the tubing is exposed. I have been through the midwest and picked up some serious industrial pollutants going through the old rust belt. You can actually see the sky darken as you pass through some areas. Also flew through heavy smoke down south. Never had an issue, except to follow with a good wash.

Now I will say my Citabria has polyurethane finish, so it may be different with dope.

Back