Buying a new Scout and need to know what to look for?!

joejenie

I'm just finishing up my deal on a new Scout and wanted to know what I should look out for or look into? I"m clueless about this plane other than on my test flight it was funner than a barrel of monkeys! Any advice on what to look for, costs, what you would add or change if you had to do it over again, etc. Any insight would be appreciated. I'm picking it up worst case in July, but hopefully in May if another guy falls out. Thanks in advance.

Learn the nuiances of the 70 gallon system. When to fill it full and how to fill it full and when to stop filling when you are going to park it instead of burn off a few gallons. You said you were getting it from Back Country, correct? They are really good with Scouts. They can show you some tricks.

Other than that, its a simple airplane. If you plan to push things to your and the plane's limits...just be careful to know what they are.

Joe, do yourself a favor and have them put on a set of bushwheels. You wont be sorry. Are you really needing 70 gal fuel.
If not save yourself some heart stopping thrills and go with std tanks.

What do you mean by thrills with the 70 gallon tanks? Is there something wrong with having that much weight in the wings? Easier to stall or something? Sounds like the 70 gallon tanks are a pain in the butt?!

I am having them add 26" bush tires. The one he tested with me had 31's, but I thought that was a little overkill size and price wise.

Thanks again.

One other thing that was kind of depressing is the plane not being fuel injected. Icing shouldn't be an issue because I would never fly this plane IFR, but fuel injection has been a great ad to general aviation and makes LOP operations a lot easier.

Jerry,

Sounds like the 70 gallon fuel tanks have had a lot of problems?! I guess I'm wondering why you need that much fuel if it only burns 8-10 GPH anyway. I guess I'm a wimp because after 2-3 hours, I'm ready to get out!

Please sell me on why I do need it? I'm leaning towards the standard tanks right now unless someone can tell me why?

Lastly, does the manufacturer have a PDF copy of a scout POH that I can read while I'm impatiently waiting?

1) You got the 70 gallon tanks for resale. No reason you cant stay light and just plug in 30-40 gallons. Its like buying 4WD vehicle and only using 4WD for 1 snow storm a year. Certainly, the standard system will save you 15-20 pounds of weight. The 70 gallon system is not THAT bad. If it was, no one would want it. It just needs careful monitoring when its totally full. We are making it sound worse than it really is. I would recommend getting it, even if you use half tank all the time.

2) No PDF, yet.....I say yet because I actually have a man working on completely updated and digitized Owner's Manuals for all the models. Like, as I type he is working on the 7GCAA one. Give him a few weeks.

If you fly in areas where fuel is not always available, they are great. I fly the Bahamas in my Citabria and often have to make out of the way stops to prevent getting stuck. 70 gallons would be wonderful there!

Regards,

Back