Carb icing with Franklin 165?

mplstim

Cruisair Drivers:

The past couple of times I went flying, I have experienced carb ice in my Franklin to an extent I never have in Lycoming and Continentals. Conditions have been ideal, with air temps around 55 and high dewpoints.

Today I had a normal run-up and smooth running until I took the runway and gave it full throttle. I could only turn about 2000 RPM and the engine ran very rough. I aborted the take-off and taxied back with carb heat on. I ran up to 2000 RPM with the carb heat on until things smoothed out. I took off and the climb was normal up to pattern altitude. Almost immediately when I throttled back to 2000, she got rough again. Carb heat smoothed it out within a few seconds.

Have you experienced this rapid onset of carb ice with your Franklin??

Tim

That could sound like an intake leak!!! Run too poor and when you put carb heat you enrich your mixture. Check all the rubber seals, I just changed mine, they're very cheap.

Alain.

Hmmm.... I've since made two flights in a warmer, drier airmass with no problems at all. On Friday, I went to Alexandria, MN and got to check out Weber's and the factory. We went into the factory at lunchtime and couldn't find anyone. We snooped around a bit and saw the new Viking - very beautiful airplane. I'm convinced the factory looks as it did in 50's. On Weber's line were about 3 Cruisemasters in various states of repair and in Weber's hangar there were 3-4 Vikings undergoing work. I had the only Cruisair around. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to get a full factory tour. I came away impressed with Weber's and would feel confident having any work done there.

Here is a link to a good graph on carb ice probability:
http://www.ez.org/carb_ice.htm

Sure seems like a good idea to post pictures of what is going on at the factory on the B-C website. The site has not changed in a long while and needs a good kick. The Forums are worth the dues but (I 'll take the heat) the site needs help. If we are going to promote our Bellanca's we got to get into the game. My plane was maintained by Weber's with the previous owner. I tried to contact them to finish a paper trail and they never replied to me. No way to run a start up business. Lynn N9818B :idea:

Lynn:

I'd argue that GA overall is operated as something other than a business. It's the old difference between entering an unfamilair FBO from the parking lot versus coming in from the ramp. In the former case everyone ignores you. They don't wish you ill; they figure you're not a pilot and, thus, are not interested in you.

Drop by a flight school and notice how long you stand there before anyone pays attention to you.

Hand your aircraft over to a maintenance shop and ask for a time estimate when the repairs will be done. Call on the appointed day. Yes, working airplanes will take precidence over yours for obvious reasons. Maybe they needed to order a part. But there is no good reason why they don't call you to let you know they're slipping the date and the job will cost more.

Buy, for example, a new Mooney (not that any of us would necessarily want or could afford a new Mooney). Try calling them. Until the recent change in management, don't expect a call back. Don't expect warranty service without paperwork pain. A dealer once said that a particular customer was such a pain he wished he could simply give him his money back. Four hundred thousand dollars to purchase one, yet Aviation Consumer notes you can't expect the same service you'd get if you'd bought a new automobile for twenty grand. I don't mean to single Mooney out. I don't have to; they're anything but unusual....that is until they got better because they had to, given the glass competition.

There are other examples of course. PS Engineering replaced a resistor on a then twenty dollar item (the Muse - allows to to listen to music and fades the music out when a radio call comes in). The resistor wasn't defective. I simply called and asked how I could increase the volume. The guy on the phone asked me to send it in; no proof of purchase - just send it in, and he nearly re-engineeered it to suit my needs.

I had to relocate and my local FBO allowed me to take my Luscombe, log books and all when I still owed them ten grand. They knew I was good for it.

All in all, though, GA operates as if it really would prefer not to have new members entering the pilot fraternity, and it expects members of that fraternity to understand and forgive service the general public would not tolerate.

Sorry for the off-topic rant, but most of us are a decade or more past young, and I'm seeing anything but legions joining us or replacing us as our journey travels but one way, as it must.

Jonathan

Stop by our flight school and someone will definitely be willing to help you. We realize that without the customer we arent a business. I cant defend being rude to customers, any more than I can understand why the same customer will pay a car dealer $100 an hour to work on his car, but complains when his A&P charges him $35 an hour. Ok thats off my chest. you can all yell at me now :)

Stand down from Red Alert :)

I never meant to suggest that ALL GA FBOs are that way. I am sorry my post hit a nerve. My local FBO is nothing at all like that either. That's why I'm based there :wink:

Jonathan

Back