carb temp

bobgoodman

its rainy today, and i was just looking over things, and remembered my cruisemaster came with at carb temp gauge. it wasn't in the panel but in a box that came with the plane. i don't know how to hook it up. the carb was rebuilt before i bought it, and maybe they left it off, or it dissappeared sometime over the last 40 years, but i'm interested in having one due to the chance of carb ice.

i looked on the carb, as well as i could without taking the bottom cowl off, and i don't see any likely wires or spot for a probe. does anybody have any insight on this?

and should i worry? ice is not a big problem here, i don't think i've ever had a situation to use carb heat.

it's already clearing out here, and will be windy tomorrow, but saturday is looking real good.

bobg

Hi Bob, great to hear about all of the progress with you Cruisemaster. Regarding the carb temp gauge. My experience with a device like this is that a probe must be installed by drilling and threading a hole just downstream of the carb's venturi. This is not something most carburetors came with although I have seen some models that have a plug installed in the correct location that can be removed for this purpose. Was there any brand or model number on this unit?

As for the build up of carburetor ice (which of course is the whole point of the gauge), my experience is that the O-470 will give you plenty of notice once ice does start to build up and in my case the application of carb heat has always solved the problem. I guess the gauge is intended to be a preventative tool. --Rob

Bob,
Alabama has some really great carb ice making conditions at this time of the year. 40-60 degrees, F and more than 50% humidity.
Same here in western Washington. That being said, it hasn't been an issue in my Cruisemaster experience. I still check periodically.

carb ice has never been a problem for me either, so i'll check for a plugged hole on the carb and if there isn't one i'll punt on the gauge. i guess i was thinking of some kind of strap-on probe. got no spare hole now anyway, although i have a d3 on the way that should open up some space. and let me lose a vaccume pump.

i think carb ice might be a bigger issue on a smaller motor. i don't know, in 40 years of flying it's never happened to me. i learned in a 150, and it was standard op to pull on the carb heat in the pattern but i never had any. that i know of. of course, now that i've said that, i'll have carb ice tomorrow.

no flying today, windy and cold. but tomorrow looks like a good day here.

i have another question, but i have pestered you guys enough for now.

bobg

Bob, there is usually a hex screw right above the data plate on the carb. Remove this screw and install the temp probe. I too have never had a carb ice issue on the crate. Lynn

Back