Caution. Do you have additional circuit breakers on your CB panel ?

slackl

Hello everyone again.

Do you have additional circuit breakers on the bottom of your circuit breakers panel ?

While reassembling my 14-19-2 and doing a total inspection of everything I've stumped on an "interesting" setup of some circuit breakers.
I do have an additional row of CB's at the very low end of standard panel, which were added at the last major avionics upgrade somewhere in mid 2000's.
Another fact - elevator turnbuckle is located just beneath that panel.

This makes interesting combination. In my specific case - pulling full elevator makes turnbuckle be only 1.5mm away from unfused terminals of the lowest circuit breakers. While I do understand that the combination of full pull + turbulence or vibration is a rare combination - but this could lead to at least full electric failure or even fire onboard due to electric shortcut.

I've redone that setup rotating circuit breakers 90 degree, increasing the gap and a bit rerouting the wires.
Please check yours and be safe.

--
Regards,
Ivan Postnikov

Hi Ivan, good to hear from you!

I have posted a picture of your circuit breaker panel (lower picture, from my archives) and also a picture of my auxiliary breaker panel just for contrast. In my experience there is no consistency in the placement of the non-factory circuit breakers, which are typically installed by a radio shop during avionics upgrades. Most often the radio shop tries to keep the added breakers close to the main panel. I rather like what someone did previously on my panel - to create an avionics buss up close to the radios. I think it would be interesting if we could get others to post pictures of their circuit breaker locations. Thanks for the message - so how far along are you with returning your plane to airworthy condition? --Rob

Rob, I've almost finished wood repairs, most of the major assemblies and now digging thru the whole airframe for the third time, catching all those small glitches :)
On the photo - went for a small sunbathing while other planes in the hangar being tossed.

That's a great picture Ivan. There is something about a triple-tail Bellanca that is hard to explain... graceful yet powerful... classic but modern in many ways. Equally beautiful on the ground and in the air. Not many people get this but I think you understand.

Back