Citabria Dragger

shazam

We base our Citabria in a shade hangar, so we're pushing and pulling it in and out on turf and gravel. I can barely do it by myself, even with an unpowered taildragger-dragger, and my wife is unable to (we're both pilots). We'd like to find a powered unit to do the pushing and pulling for us. We need something that will hook onto the aft end (tailwheel) and have the capability to push it out, and (what would appear to be the easy part) drag it back in. There is electrical power to the hangars, so 110 volt, battery, or gas would work.

I'd be interested in what folks are using, and your experiences with the units. Also, as long as I'm wondering out loud, I wonder where a person might be able to do some hands-on comparison shopping in the Ohio area. I don't really want to wait till OSH to get one. Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Jim
9140L

If you are traversing gravel and loose or rough turf, the powered dragger will have difficulty with traction also. The drive wheels need to be large with sufficient weight on them. Have you considered a riding lawn mower and a tow bar? Be careful with the tow bar when pushing. Some of the tow bars that use spring tension to clamp on to the tail wheel can slip off when used to push.

Bill

Thanks for your thoughts, Bill. It's not really loose gravel, but still takes more effort than concrete. The lawn tractor is a thought. Does anyone have a set-up they use to make the physical connection to the tail wheel that works well for them? Thanks again!

Jim

I have a S1 Tail-Dragger Dragger that I use in the summer months. In the winter months I attach a towing hitch arm accessory and then use an ATV to move a Super Decathlon since the surface near the hanger becomes too covered with snow/ice to move the plane by hand. The system works very well. I have never had it come off the tailwheel pushing or pulling the plane.

Is this hitch arm assembly something that came with the taildragger dragger or something you made up? It sounds like it may be a more economical answer that hundreds for a power tow. More info please! Thanks!
Jim

The hitch accessory is sold directly from the company . http://dragger.com/
You can see some pictures from the website including one using a riding lawnmower.
It has worked great for my needs. I have the pin/clevis variety.

Back