Citabria Oleo Strut Question

bookmaker

I have a 1965 7ECA with the no bounce gear. At last annual, I decided it was a good idea to check the fluid in the oleos, and while at it replace all springs and seals.

I ordered the rope packing seal. It was about 11" long (per side). I have the document for the measurement of the rope packing seal and it says they should be much shorter. We did notice that packing removed was the full length as the replacements, but when we tried to use the entire length, the packing gland was well above its seat. So the A & P and I decided to cut the rope to the length per the document.

They leak.

Does anyone have experience with replacing the rope seal in the Aeronca/ Citabrtia oleos? Has something changed so that the longer rope is needed?

I have ordered new packing rope seals and would like to get it right this time.

Dale

Dale

My previous aircraft was a 1965 gcaa with oil/oleo struts.

Contact David Rude...he's a gear expert

http://www.hangar9aeroworks.com/aeroncastrut/davidrudeoleo.htm

I spoke with Dave Rude yesterday. Seems like a great guy. He answered my question and we discussed several other issues.

For anyone else considering changing the rope packing. DON'T CUT IT PER THE OLD DRAWING. The new material requires a longer piece. If you get it from Univair, or Wag Aero, it is already the correct length.

Dale

Back