Citabria pattern power/speeds

eppoh

I am still getting used to the GCAA. One thing I have not figured out is pattern power settings. I am looking for an RPM to set abeam the numbers on downwind, fly a 1/2 mile pattern without touching the power - so as to fly final and arrive over the numbers at 1.3Vs . No wind of course.
I realize there will be some difference depending on props - but should not be much.

I have a cruise prop.

I usually reduce my power to 1800, my plane is a 7GCBC, but the concept is going to be about the same. I slow down to 90 put in 1 knotch of flaps and trim for 75 and 1800. Base can give you a good idea of what you need to do, to high to low and take corrective action. Finial I set my attitude and adjust speed with power setting and trim. To me trimming is very important, especially when your looking outside rather than fixing on the airspeed indicator. Attitude and speed control on final make all the difference in the world if you are going to land where you are "aiming" . Just takes practice, practice and more practice to find what works best for you.

Woodie
N29763

Don't be discouraged if you are having difficulty adjusting to no flap landings. I transitioned from a C172 to a 7GCAA and although it took a little practice after a while I was thinking "I don't need no stinking flaps" You just need to fly the plane a bit differently. With no flaps there is not much drag so if you leave the power-in, even a little, you end up flying a very large and flat pattern. I pulll the power to idle abeam the numbers and slow to around 70 mph at which point I turn base. On base and final I will slip to adjust my glide slope if I am too high. On final I slow to 65 if I am solo or maintain 70 if I have a passenger. If you wish to fly a tigher pattern more slip is needed, if you have a nervous passenger then you may want to fly a little larger pattern so that only a little or no slip is needed. This all assumes a no wind pattern. The keys are power to idle and a bit of slipping. Good Luck with your GCAA. I am sure that you will love it.
Mark

Dear eppoh:

My story is the opposite. Having learned to fly in a Citabria, I had a hell of a time transitioning to the "easy" C-172. Had to learn about flaps, how and to use them; worst problem was keeping the nosewheel up in the flair. As Mark says, you will adjust.

I also concur with his numbers for the pattern. Note that anything under 65 will give you a very steep approach; I sometimes use it instead of a slip with nervous passengers, then dropping the nose at about 20 feet to flare. But only in calm conditions!

This may not come across the Atlantic too well but here goes !

Having flown all sorts of taildraggers, usually into short grass strips that would peel the eyebrows off of you chaps used to larger fields, the main thing is trim and feel.

I coach for our EAA ( PFA ), we do BFR's just like you and I do tailwheel course, type conversions, bush flying as you would know it etc.

I try and get folks away from set rpm's, speeds once they develop an empathy for the aeroplane.

What this does is make people more atune to what the aeroplane is telling you, stick position, sound, height, position in the pattern, etc so come the day when an instrument falls over, you shoot the approach like normal.

I fly with guys who ask for all the speeds, settings etc and I say - listen to the aeroplane, it is talking to you, when you begin to understand the language, you are becoming a better pilot - I could set off down Johnathan Livingston but I won't !

So, feel the aeroplane, try high, low, fast slow, see the difference, try flap, no flap, try power on and power off. You will then learn a set of gameplans that you can call upon for the strip or runway you are approaching, even if it is homebase all the time.

Above all do it gradually and with an enquiring mind and you will find another facet to flying that gives hours of pleasure - the curiosity area of what will my aeroplane do.

This applies to little stuff and big stuff and after nearly 12,000 hours aloft, I even get our F/O's in the Airbus 320 and 330 learning new tricks !

Enjoy :D

Thanks Mike.
We think somewhat alike.
I used to land DC-3's that were 3000 pounds over takeoff weight at touchdown- on 2500 feet of dirt, at night, with smudge pots at 7000 ft elevation. You had better listen to what that Gooney was telling you on the approach and flare. We lost a couple airplanes. I also try to get the guys I fly the 767-400 with to turn off the autopilot and throttles and "fly the plane". It makes for better landings once you get a good feel. In over 20,000 hours I have yet to see an airplane that can fly itself better than I. That day is probably not far off.

Anyway young Skywalker, when I started out learning a new plane, I had a starting point or reference from which to begin. Just the like the "reference" speed we use. It is just that. If I did not tell a new guy in the 767 to set around 61% for power on final, he would be all over the place.

"Feel the Force".

eppoh -

And you were asking our advice ?

I dream of flying a DC3/C47

We're not worthy.

Go out, fly enjoy, You have picked the right aeroplane to have fun in :D

Mike

p.s Dollar 18 always worked on the 757 on final !! Now I am on the Airbus, they won't tell me - it's a secret :oops:

I fly downwind at 1800 rpm or 80 mph (or slower). Why bleed off all your speed on base/final. Opposite my touch down, power to 1000 (would rather be power off, but over cools the engine).
Slow to 65 (1.3) I fly a circular approach, down wind-base-final is one continuous turn. This allows you to keep the runway in sight at all times, allows you to continuously slip, adjust alignment by slight changes in bank angle. This will keep the pattern tight enough that a engine failure will still allow you to land safely.
Many pilots at our local field fly bomber patterns that are more than a mile from the runway and have to carry power to get in.
This kind of approach habit makes landing into a short strip or one with obstructions much more difficult.
Regards
Morris

Back