Cleveland Brake Mod 14-13-2

blimpy

Club Pub B-281 makes it sound pretty easy to swap the cleveland ( cessna retrofit kit) brakes
onto the 14-13-2.

That document mentions replacing the brake hoses from the "master cylinders to the wing"

eh, say what?

Anybody done this lately, and gotten the axles from Alexandria ?

Much as I hate to go in the direction of a less than original bird.. the expander tube brakes are
really not so swift.

Er I mean.. I have a wonderful airworthy vintage brake set to sell, with spares.

ya, that's kinda interesting... do they specify which ones to install?
Perhaps the volume that needs to flow is different when going from tubes to calipers.
I changed away from tube to calipers on my J4 years ago and put new hoses in but I can recall if it was required or just did it because I wanted to. Might have been due to the fittings being different.
old planes like ours, sometimes it's a good idea to change them if only to be sure they're in good shape.
and, you get to make one of those nifty back-flow bleeders! they're awesome.

Well, I got nice used axles from a parted out viking $200 for the pair. Alexandria would supply new ones
for $456 each , but I met an angel.

Kit is the Cleveland 199-46 cessna retrofit kit for 120's through 170's. $1465 from Chief in Oregon
with a 7% off promotion and free ground shipping.

I will need new aeroquip hoses for the part that bends when the gear retracts. Yes different fittings
than the Hayes, and I imagine a bit longer.

Axle angel is sending pix and instructions for using an American bearing splitter and puller to extract
my axles. He says he has done 8 and it is the only thing that's worked for him.

Sounds daunting... and like a two man job.

Annual comming up in two weeks, so will get a GOOD LOOK at my existing brake tubes and hoses.
What I have seen so far looks good.

Capt. Larry :D

FYI... the clevelands use the existing scott master cylinders that came with the plane.
There is a pressure graph in the cleveland docs of aircraft weight versus hydraulic psi...
which will be about 500 psi at gross weight of 2100 lbs.

So, I devine from this info that both volume of displacement and pressure are pretty low for a hydraulic system, so there is no reason to imagine that any bigger hoses would be necessary.

Back