Cleveland Brake Removal

Rob58

On my 14-19-3 a leak exists somewhere in my brake caliper. I'm guessing and hoping it is just a piston o-ring and not a crack in the housing itself. My question is: how can the brake assembly be removed from the wheel? It looks like I will need to pull the wheel off because the caliper housing will interfere with the lower gear strut preventing me from simply sliding it off? The attached picture is not too good, but does show the point of interference. Any advice from those that have done this before? Thanks!

Rob, you disassemble the caliper not the wheel. From the picture you posted it is the four 7/16th in bolts that you remove. The brake pads will fall free and the caliper will split in half. This gives you access to the pistons and all the pads. I suggest you get your local A&P to show you how it is done. Once you see it you will know. Do not try to replace the pads or piston O ring with out the proper tools. On the bright side most times you need new O rings on the pistons. Sometimes the calipers crack and in every case you must bleed the brakes. A pressure bleeder works great for this. I have Clevelands on the crate and wouldn't be without them. If you have the caliper dissembled for any length of time, install small C clamps over the pistons so they will not drift out and loose all your brake fluid also use them to push the piston back in the housing making it easier to reassemble and the pads will not be against the rotor. Lynn

Back