Cleveland's On Cruisaire... forget the club book.

Blimby, since you are digging into your brake system pretty deep I'm hoping you can answer a question. I believe I read in one of your posts that you had the original Scott 4000 Master Brake Cylinders on your Cruisaire. I have been trying to locate drawings for the cylinder without luck. By any chance can you tell me the diameter of the piston or the cylinder bore at the outlet side of the brake cylinder? Or perhaps you know a source for the original drawings?
Thanks.
art

This post concerns both the Cleveland brake cylinder and various master cylinder installations...
This is my experience:
On my 14-13-2, I installed the single puck Cleveland wheel/brake system in conjunction with the Debs 180 Franklin STC, back in 1974. I used a sleeve-spacer-sleeve axle system, like Blimpy has been working on.
I kept the original Scott master cylinders. The system is just "ok," not great. To get moderate braking, you must exert fairly high pedal pressure. I have lived with it for a long time. You'll never nose over!
My 14-12-F3 has the Bodell wheel/brake setup with the original pre-war, horizontal, Mopar based low pressure high volume master cylinder. This seems to work fairly well. Therefore, I would think the Scott
master cylinder would be satisfactory with the Bodell brakes.
Dan

Blimpy,
Never, never think of a tire iron with aircraft wheels!!! You were joking...right....
Pull the valve core and deflate.
Remove the wheel through bolts.
Break the bead loose from the wheel halves.
Separate wheel halves, tube and tire.
Inspect,repair or replace tube.
Reverse process to install new tire.
It pays to use talc on the tube to get it back in place.
Put a little air in the tube to prevent kinks
The red dot on the tire aligns with the valve stem.
DO NOT pinch the tube in the wheel halves.
Valve core back in.
Torque through bolts to correct value.
Inflate to appropriate pressure. Check pressure again next day.
Clean, inspect and repack wheel bearings.
Done.
Dan

Blimby, you asked why the drawing request?

Absent a set of Scott master cylinders on the bench to measure, I figured the drawing would have the dimensions I was looking for. I have Scott 4000 (original issue) in the airplane and don't care to take them out or hook up a pressure gauge - I just keep reading how the Scott's have too low a pressure for this or that brake assembly. With the piston diameter I can calculate the system pressure at various pedal forces. If your 7/8" dia. recall is correct, then the Scotts should put out about 200 - 230 psi without standing on them. I have Bodell brakes which probably would like more pressure than the Scotts can give. Mostly curiosity, that's all.

Thanks for the info.
artL

Back