Columbia Coast to Coast

Jonathan Baron

I’ve not posted about Columbia, and some of you on this merry forum know why. How does one describe the grand endeavor that ends…poorly? Well…begin with the adventure.

My ‘Master became our Club’s Air Force One on the Sunday before the event as I flew from Orange, Virginia to Wayne Delp Memorial south of Albany, New York – a mixture of turf and embedded pavement pieces on a gorgeous little hill on the banks of the Hudson river at the foot of those mountains and beautiful country that seldom comes to mind to most people when they hear the words New and York together. It's unlikey they think of the York part and that countryside in England that inspired the name. And, like most airstrips on hills where those invisible air currents can do unpredictable and altogether too interesting things on the approaches, my first approach was high and a go-around…”Nice fly-by,” was how Robert put it later. Such a bucolic end to roughly 345 miles of needle threading between large and self important huge hunks of airspace. Adolph Galland – that splendid Luftwaffe pilot and flight leader from WWII – said, “You can’t defend a block of sky,” but he was wrong and we do. I triggered no defenses and averaged 147 welcome knots enroute. This would be the last time I would see such an impressive sum for several days.

Our President happily awaited me at midfield. Very little personal luggage unlike my massive collection of clothing. Yes it’s a quirk, but I consider tee shirts underwear and shorts undignified. Thus I’d packed a shirt for each of ten days, and actual pants, each to be worn for two days. Tropical weight fabric, of course.

Onward to Albany and cheap gas. Then, to my mind at least, the trip commenced.

I’ll be a bit more brief from here on, saving the complete version for the Newsletter. After landing at Johnstown, famous for a tragic flood, I’d only flown just under six hours but felt trance-like fatigue. They don’t give you a traditional courtesy car in Johnstown. They give you a late model, well equipped minivan which we used to get lost, over and over again until we somehow managed to find food and, later, lodging.

What do aviators do immediately upon entering a hotel room? Let’s say it in unison now: tune to the Weather Channel and inexplicably leave it on for hours. Long gone are the days of mild and vaguely attractive men and women in the studio talking about the weather in various places in the country, with the occasional expert – the too ugly for television guy who’s on camera because he’s an expert – saying expert things. They must choose the ugly guy or nobody would believe him. Oh, the made for television folks are still there but the focus was the current fashion in weather reporting: guys being blown around in violent storms talking with great excitement into microphones reporting more wind noise than words. Super cells marching across the country. And the hail…how big was it? Smashed bits and huge dents marked their vehicles – the proud marks of either courage or insanity – shown on camera with great enthusiasm. To an aviator, though, one thought: yikes!!

The following days deviated distinctly from my printed portions of WAC charts with confident yellow course lines. Yet we were granted the magic corridor between meteorological events that would have attracted the storm crews had we not taken our southerly route. Only downside was that those upper air charts were full of arrows fletched with lines on their tails aimed precisely at our nose. Lebanon, Tennessee for fuel. Fort Smith, Arkansas and RON right on the border of Oklahoma. Across Oklahoma and veering toward the Texas panhandle. Robert noted we were passing over Greg Lucas’ airport and place of business. I said hi to Greg on the UNICOM but he was either not there or not near a radio. Lubbock, Texas for fuel and confusion. Two or three Vikings are based there and the fact that I referred to my ‘Master as a Bellanca…well…more on THAT another time. Over the huge fields filled with abandoned oil wells and ahead the point that marks the end of flat country: Guadalupe Pass and onward to the land of fresh water and fast ducks: windy Demming, New Mexico. DMN for me was a rematch. I’d landed there several years ago, unfamiliar with my Cruisemaster. I wheel landed the thing in a crosswind, used to the powerful rudder of my Luscombe. Veered to the left, applied hard right brake. My right brake is a long bar that can apply far more force than a toe brake. Just managed to keep it from flipping on its nose but I dinged the prop. This bit of taildragger physics would come up again later. I’d spend several nights at their Grand Hotel that had nothing in common with the setting of the famous old motion picture from the 1930s staring Ronald Coleman and Greta Garbo. It was only after my pretty good landing and subsequent exaltation that I informed Robert of why I’d planned on landing at Demming from the start. He can be a nervous fellow.

After another RON (for me at least) at the Grand Hotel we had a short day: a hop to The Big House (they call it by its Spanish name, Casa Grande) and on to the windy private desert strip of Bruce Barton located on an arid plain in Arizona not far from the Nevada border and Las Vegas. Flying across the United States in long hops can feel like a series of journeys to several very different planets. This was a different planet indeed but I won’t get into that now.

After a fuel stop at Jean, Nevada the next morning, Columbia was one hop away. I take the conservative route…Apple Valley, Palmdale, crossing the Tehachapi pass, and up the Central Valley. Ozzie was about to take off below us and was talking to the tower. I thought to call the tower to ask for an altimeter setting to let Ozzie know we were passing over but he would not have recognized our tail number.

Though traveling from east to west our ground speed exceeded 140 knots. The trip to Columbia took just a wee bit over three hours even over the long route. There it was! Right downwind for 17, final flown at 60mph (a wonderful ability of the triple tail), touchdown near center line and then it happened.

The nose went left. This was less a swerve than it was an inexplicable HARD TURN to the left. Full, and I mean FULL right rudder and brake did nothing at all. Left wing hit, and we were whipped into the grass. Puzzled beyond words I looked out my left window. The gear was down and pointing forward. Odd sight, that. It had been a slow landing. Robert and I barely bumped shoulders. I was furious. What the hell could I have done to cause this?

I barely looked at the airplane after I exited the cockpit. There was the expected array of firefighters with no fire to fight, police taking reports, all that. Lots of “Good thing neither of you were hurt,” yeah, yeah, yeah. But WTF happened was the only thought on my mind. 26.9 hours, 11 landings, 20 in the last 30 days, some of them anything but pretty but nothing remotely like a hard left swerve. The crosswind was light…maybe…what…four…maybe five knots and it coming from the right. Gear collapsing forward. Nothing made sense.

The drag strut attachment had snapped. First guy said side loads. I must have screwed something up but I didn’t know what. “They’re gonna say it was ‘cause I’m a cripple,” I said to Russell on the phone, forgetting I should wait awhile before saying something like that to anyone.

But we’d made it and we’d have MANY Bellanca experts on the case. Lots of photos, lots of examinations. Bob Seal noted that one side of the piece that let go showed a pre-existing crack. The other side had sheared off, probably due to 59 years of doing what it does and the surrender of its ally on the other side.

I won’t linger here except for the matter of the FAA. The fellow who showed up the next day said he had some time in taildraggers but quit after he’d ground looped a 170. Ruled an accident due to aileron damage his tone a few days later was accusatory. He wanted me to take a ride…709, I forget the number.

“The photos show a center touchdown, followed by left and right brake tire skid marks turning left.”

“I didn’t apply left brake.”

“How do you explain the skid marks?”

“Left wheel hit the ground and the tire dragged.”

“How do you know that?”

“I didn’t hit the left brake. Had full right rudder in and my heel on the floor.”

“How do you know that?”

“If both brakes had been applied so hard as to create skid marks the airplane would have gone on its nose. It’s a taildragger. The left wheel had to have been on the ground already.”

-Silence-

“Locking up the right brake alone would have made it nose over.” [I didn’t say how I knew that]

“Uh…I’m going to have to look at the airplane again. I’ll get back to you.”

I know the Feds. It won’t matter. I phoned the guy I know at the Richmond, Virginia FSDO. He’s the guy who tested me in January. I said I was sorry if this reflected badly on him. He told me he’d seen the photos. Said he was going to recommend against the I-forget-the-number ride. Won’t matter I said and asked when we could arrange my little ride. It will have to be in my Luscombe but I’ve flown it for twelve years. In my fantasies I hoped for a very windy day and a very nervous examiner other than the guy I know, but those are just the mandatory revenge fantasies that only the Feds can inspire. Never in their thoughts was the fact I’d lost my airplane. The insurance company will total it, I can’t afford to buy it back, and probably another of a limited run of Triple Tails will likely depart the fleet.

It was a wonderful trip – Robert’s first clear across the country. Lots of great stories, few recounted here. God knows it would have truly, truly s*cked if we hadn’t made Columbia. If it had to happen that was the best place for it to happen. Just glad it didn’t happen on takeoff.

Jonathan

Jonathan,
I cannot add more to what has been said, as I was there after the fact and could see the cause. It's tough dealing with everthing from 3000 mile away. If I can help in any way, let me know. I urge you to retain the airplane . Dan

NO NO OH NO! JB what rotten hand you have been delt. I am so sorry to hear your plight. If I can help in any way please ask. I'm glad you guys are fine and can make light of this. As my mother always told me when times seemed tough---This too will pass. Lynn the crate :cry: :cry:

Whoh! Hold on there, guys. This was a great trip. Got to hang out with Dan, Larry, Peter, Russell, Bob, George, and other honest to god aviators for over three days. I got to share a ride across the country with Robert. Many of us have done coast to coast flights lots of times. I certainly have but seldom - rarely - do we get to share such a trip with a real character. Bellancas attract a certain kind of pilot that I love (in a manly way of course). Fate ordains many unfortunate things but it showed me the mercy of doing its fate ordaining thing AT COLUMBIA. That gear was gonna break - no doubt about it - and its warning was hidden in a way that would have been difficult to detect in advance. That it decided to do what it was pretty much destined to do where it decided to do it...I dunno...I'm not exactly feeling unlucky.

And the Feds? When are they NOT a**holes? Well...except for a few, like the guy who tested me in January and who's backing me up now, and the one who first modified a taildragger so I could fly it (okay, he wasn't a Fed then :wink: )

Years from now I truly doubt I'll remember first the holy crap moment just past the numbers on runway 17. I'll remember first Robert's reaction as I made the tight turn around those cliffs that look like skyscraper sized copies of the Ten Commandments tablets at Guadalupe Pass.

Time's gonna come when all of our beloved birds will take their final flight, as we will. For my Bellanca, I could think of worse ways to go. Sweet last dance.

Jonathan

Of course anything I can do to help, let me know. I can pick you up in SF or SAC and haul you to Columbia if need be. Peter S

Oops...sorry for the tone of finality, Dan. Were it not for my current circumstances of course I'd buy it back. They're not grave but they do preclude my buying it back and getting it fixed. This is not a situation of options, alas. My talents do not include the skills so many of you have. The Nike slogan is inspiring but...

And thank you, Peter. Be careful with that smile of yours. It could contribute to global warming :lol:

Jonathan

I was thinking along the lines of your hiring Bobby Seals (can't help but call Robert that) to haul it to Selma, and fix it there. Your role would be to take the insurance money and hand it all over to Robert. I'm not an expert, but it seems that a commercial shop should easily be able to fix that for under $20,000. (For a quick start, buy a wing! ) any other guesses as to the cost of repair? Peter

The job Bob did on your landing gear, Peter, made me wonder if they were not, perhaps, better than what had come from the factory when your Cruisemaster was a newborn. The job the folks in Alexandria did on Russell's wings (purely elective surgury in his case) was astonishing as well.

There are avenues. At this stage, absent actual estimates, it's all speculation really - speculaton seasoned by emotion. Quoting an old commercial, I'm soaking in it ;)

Jonathan

I suppose that until the bush that burns and is not consumed (the insurance company) gives its judgement, you have no way to go. Smiled at your description of scaring the bejeezus out of the Flight Examiner if they make you take the "numbered" test.

Back