Controls

lwford

Has anyone addressed excessive movement (slop) in the Cruisemaster or Viking Aileron system? I'm starting to get play in my ailerons and seems to be centered in the aileron control. Of course to pull it is a hole in the fabric, a lousy design. Gep should of stuck with the Cruisair system! Lynn the crate :?

My -2 has some play in the joint between the roller and the track. The roller has worn a groove in the track opening up some clearance. There is also some play developing in the angled clevis on the aileron as well but not as much. I have been fretting about this for some time, but I have not done anything about it yet.
Ralph

Well I finally took the ailerons off the crate to see if I can fix the slop. In removing the ailerons all the bushings literately fell out. Much to my surprise, there are bushings within bushings. The 3/16 bolts are bushed within a 3/8 inch bushing. I found no help from AAC so decided to make a single bushing using 3/8 4130 tubing and then bring the ID up to 3/16 inch. The fittings are aluminum so pressing in the new bushing was easy. I used a 3/16 bolt ,3/8 socket and a small sleeve to press the original 3/8 bearing out. Hardest part of the job was finding a 3/16 sleeve to fit within the 3/8 steel bushing to push the old ones out. I used p/n 03-01610 4130 tubing from Aircraft Spruce to have my machinist friend cut and ream 6 new bushings . One foot about 6 bucks. Typical as soon as I start this project the wx turns nice and work gets very busy. Lynn the crate

Thanks for useful info. Did you determine that the slop in the control system is solely due to the worn aileron bushings? ...Rob

Thanks for this information Lynn... seems very important considering that excessive play in any control surface could lead to flutter - a bad thing!

Back