Converting '73 7ECA to 150 hp

shazam

My apologies...I know this info is in the archives somewhere, but I do not show a Search option on the page. I have a 1973 7ECA which had the new wings/struts put on in 2000. I have an opportunity (?) to upgrade to 150 hp (3 cracked cylinders on the 0-235...GULP). I found the service bulletin that allows the upgrade on the ACA site, but it is listed as covering 1974 models forward. Can I do this to my '73 and, if so, how, paperwork-wise? jerrymjr....any input? Thanks!

Jim

Yes it can be done to your "73. I have just recently purchased a "68" 7ECA and we are upgrading it to a 160 hp version of the 7GCAA. If i remember correctly on the ACA site when they refer to 74 and up it is refering to keeping maintenence and yearly inspections current to 74 and newer 7GCAA standards. Give ACA a call, they are very helpful, i am also going to up grade to the new style instrument panel which they offer through ACA. I have another friend that is also doing the 160 hp upgrade to his 7ECA so if you have any questions look me up

I am currently having a 1966 7ECA restored and plan to upgrade the engine with the O-320 A2B 150hp. My project has the Oleo Gear, which after talking with ACA, means SL430 will not apply. I'll have to apply for a one time STC. After speaking with our FSDO regarding my intent, they've given their tacit approval based the same config 7GCAA i.e. Oleo Gear and the 150hp version engine. If there's enough interest, a multi STC should be equally doable.

For what its worth, I will hang a pair of new ACA metal spar wings. ACA has confirmed the 100lb GW increase will apply to Oleo Gear aircraft - a big plus for their new wings as far as I'm concerned.

Jeff, that is the same strategy suggested by Jerry @ ACA when I made contact with him....use the SL as the basis for a one-time STC. In the interim, we've decided to just bite the bullet and major the 0-235. We decided that the 7ECA is supposed to be our 'economy' airplane after all! Thanks to all who replied!

Jim

Back