Converting to Continental 0-470 from Lycoming 0-435

Bullockdr

Hi everyone...only my 2nd post so far...I have a 50 Cruisemaster 14-19 with the Lycoming 0-435 and Hartzell prop and I want to make a conversion over to the Continental 0-470J...I plan on doing this in the process of restoring the aircraft...I didn't know who to contact with the club concerning this, so here goes a few questions: 1) I'm assuming there is either an STC or field approval associated with the conversion, wondering which? 2) Is there only a certain 0-470 model that can be used in the conversion? If so, which would that be? Currently I have access to a 0-470J engine. 3) Is there a particular individual in the club that would be considered the guru on that conversion? I'm an A&P, but have no experience in making that conversion.

I would appreciate any input and suggestions...Thanks...David

The -2 uses a Cont O470-K engine. It is the same engine used in the early Cessna 180,182. The engine has horizontal Lord mounts unlike a Cessna 182 which has vertical mounts in later model years. I use a Cessna 180A thru E engine installation parts catalog. This has great pictorials unlike Bellanca that has zilch. You would need to change the engine mount for a start at this. I know of no STC or Approval for your 19. That conversion would be quite a task. Thankfully my -2 has a McCauley prop( no AD's) and no need to split the cowl ring. Lynn the crate

David, welcome to the forum! You asked "who is the guru"... well you just heard from him in the first reply to your post. You should take a look at Lynn's youtube videos - he has a beautiful -2. While not as experienced as Lynn, I have gained a lot of hands-on knowledge myself and will share a few comments about your situation - I have two -2s and two -3s in restoration (only a dream that I will ever finish!). My first question to you is: have you already acquired a low-time O-470 engine? If the answer is no, then I can promise you that you will end with more money invested in pursuing an engine conversion than what it would cost to purchase a 14-19-2, which typically can be had for $30K, sometimes less, in reasonably good condition. If you are in love with the smiling face on the 14-19 (which I happen to like as well) you may likely need to change the entire cowling as part of the conversion process. That being said an engine conversion has been done. Notably N6RJ is (or was) a 14-19 and now it has a fuel injected Continental. There are a couple of other conversions I believe. If you search on this forum you will find some threads discussing this. All things considered flying behind the O-435 is not a bad option and truthfully you will not pick up that much performance stepping up to the 230hp engine. My belief is that a nicely restored, straight 14-19 will attain classic status at a higher level than the -2 both because of its looks and rarity. But if you want to do the conversion, keep us posted and we will offer what help we can. --Rob

Thank you Lynn and Rob...Maybe I need to reconsider what I'm thinking...I have an extra complete 0-435 sitting in my hanger...A major concern of mine is the Hartzell prop and the horror stories I've heard about that...I understand there is no other option on the 0-435 except that prop?...I'll begin the restoration process beginning in April...Relative to being a classic, I guess it would be best to keep it original...I really appreciate the advice and I'll keep you posted on the decision...David

David, I think Rob hit the nail on the head. If you want a Continental buy a -2. Rob again is right as they can be had at 30K. Dan Cullman I think is the master of the Bellanca series along with Russell Williams and Cy Galley. Those boys are smart cookies and been there done that. I told this story before. When I was 11 years old a Triple tail flew into the grass field airport where I hung out. That was the most impressive small plane I had ever seen..I wanted one someday and it came to pass. Anyhow I got the crate and we have been at it for a time. Like a marriage better,worse,love,hate my wife calls it Jezebel. I think she knows more about her than I do HA HA . Welcome to the fold and don't hesitate to write and ask as there are a lot of talented people who own these planes and are willing to help keep them flying. Alexandria aircraft has the type cert. and some parts. They are in the Bellanca Champion magazine. Andy Vano the engineer writes a feature but you never see them here on the Forum. I have always wondered why that is? Oh well it is snowing and cold I've got the fuel pump in the process of coming out for overhaul and I guess I'm just being bored. Lynn the crate :lol:

Thanks Lynn, I appreciate the info...I'll be asking questions, even if they are dumb ones...I've decided just to stick with the original setup on the Lycoming...I'm going to do a complete restoration, so I just want to make it the best I can in the end...David

David, there is a DER in Southern California that has done the paperwork for converting a straight 14-19 to a dash 2. I dont recall his full name, but he does airshows under the name of the TUMBLING BEAR. I think it is ROB something. Another option would be to find an Aeromatic F220. A few years ago I was talking to the late Bob Seals (Bellanca restorer) and he told me that he had a brand new Cruismaster Aeromatic sitting in a box. I thought about it when Bob passed away, but I have a Cruisair and didnt need it. I believe Dan Cullman was good friends with Bob and might know what became of the prop. Actually, the first suggestion in this thread about selling and buying a -2 with a modern engine and prop is the most logical, but if we were logical we probably wouldnt own Bellancas in the first place. Best of Luck. Grant.

David, I too have a 14-19 with the unique, rare, cussed O-435A. Parts for it can be "problematic." Ditto for the previous comments. I don't see the prop as a real problem, if you can find a shop willing to do the required inspection every 5yrs/250 hrs. Depending on the hub serial no's, some can't be inspected and are scrap. Some can be inspected, but aren't suitable for overhaul. Finally, Hartzell is willing to sell you the gold-standard, which alleviates the issue of the service bulletin. One local shop in Ft. Worth would no longer touch my prop because of Hartzells service bulletin,and AD. I called Hartzells tech rep and he said take it to another shop, as S.B.'s aren't required under Part 91 ops. That response surprised me, but that's what I did. Jordan Propeller, in San Antonio didn't have a problem doing the inspection. My hub can be inspected, just not overhauled. I also spoke with Northwest Propeller, in Washington state, and they were willing to do the inspection. Tom Robinson

Thanks Grant and Tom...I really appreciate the info...I'll check the serial number on my prop and get back with you...As I mentioned, I'm gonna restore this aircraft to be original...David

David,
Hope not too. Probably more important is the props p/n. Mine is HC-12V20-8D(formerly, -12X20- , not sure why the change). I would guess that yours is as well. You should get a copy of A.D.# 97-18-02. Our prop is in the first section under compliance. The gold standard is the HC12MV20-8. I don't have a copy of the service bulletin. I was relying on Hartzell during the conversation I mentioned earlier. You should have in your logs a track record. What was the previous owner doing about inspections? Tom Robinson

Tom,
My prop is the same as yours...the prop is still in the 250hr/5 year window...I probably will start stripping the aircraft down sometime in March...Would you mind sending me your email/ph# for future reference as I dive into this project? I can only imagine some of the questions I will have down the road...This aircraft does have all the logs all the way back to the test flight, so very complete record of what has and hasn't been done...Thanks...David

Tom...I stand corrected...my prop is HC-D2V20-8, blade ser# 90627/103305...I did pull up the AD you mentioned...David

Back