Cowling channels for a 1413-2

Gary Brink

Carroll at Alex Aircraft told me that they are called cowling channels but I have questions. I can see by the holes that there were four of them, however, I only have two. Both of mine are straight but since I'm missing two, are there two that are curved? They run from the firewall to the bulkhead. I could probably make two if they are all four alike but if
anyone have a couple that you are willing to part with I am certainly in the market.
Thanks,
Gary Brink

Gary,
If you mean the channels that go from firewall to nose bowl, they are all straight. the top two support the hinges for the side panels, the lower ones have the Airloc fastener receptacle.
I am going to the hanger and will measure them. I think anyone with a good sheet metal brake could make them if you cant find any.

BTW, are there drawing around for stuff like this?

ron

Thanks, Ron. I need to know if they are the same length as the lower ones.
Both of mine have the airlock recepticals so I'm obviously missing the top ones. I have access to brakes and I can make them if I know what I'm making. :)
Gary

First question Gary, do you have all the rest of the cowl the top panel , the two side panels and the bottom cowl panel? If you do, you can use the fastener locations, chafe marks and so on to re-establish the geometry and make the channels to fit.

Top and bottom channels are nearly the same. Can't confirm the lengths are equal, but I did measure the bottom channels. From the face of the firewall edge flange to the nose bowl screw line was 28.5" on both sides. I did not measure the upper channel though. I'll do that in a day or so, but if you have the rest of the cowl, your main task will be to make it fit your existing sheet metal.

I want to mention a few things different about the Cruisair cowl:
How the cowl fits will depend on the position of the engine and motor mounts. Since the nose bowl is centered by the round plate in the front attached to the engine, if you raise or lower the engine very much, the side panels wont fit.
Another peculiarity is that the cowl upper channels are attached to the rear engine baffle as well. When the engine torques, it transfers vibration to the cowl, which may explain why the firewall cowl brackets have had problems with cracking.

Wow! This has been very helpful, Ron. Yes I do have all of the cowls and "sheet metal". In fact, a lot of it is new. I can put on the nose bowl and then measure to see how long to make the top ones. I also had to fabricate the engine baffle and I didn't have the pattern for the rear baffle so I made it a little large knowing that I can cut it down to size. My question is how close does the rear baffle come to the cowl? Does it actually touch the baffle?
Thank you again, Ron. This has been very helpful.
Gary

Gary,

I just went through repairing the entire cowling system on my airplane. I even have extra channels if you are interested. Only problem is that I am on the road for a couple of weeks and won't be in my shop for awhile. Let me know and I will take a look at what I have and send you what you need.

As an aside, on my airplane both the top channels and bottom channels have airlock receptacles. The top channels use the airlocks to secure the top cowling and side panels/doors.

The baffling on my airplane comes just short of touching the top and side panels. The gap is filled with baffling felt making for a seal.

Hope this helps. And if you need any other help regarding the cowling I've become relatively educated over the last few months, though I'm still trying to work out the interface between the nose bowl and air box.

Cheers.

RT

Our channels sound alike as mine have airlock receptacles as well. My top channels are like new...in fact they are new as I made them today. :D
Thanks for the offer and for answering my questions.
Gary

Back