Crankcase Repair

Tom Fraser

I own a 1979 7GCBC on Floats. I recently experienced an engine loss of power and subsequently discovered
a valve stuck open on the #1 cylinder. Upon further inspection and removal of the particular cylinder, we discovered part of the crankcase was broken where the hydraulic tappet rides. Does anyone know if this crankcase is repairable or salvageable? The engine is a 150 HP 0-320-A2D. Total time on engine and airframe 1800 hours.
Thanks.
Tom Fraser

While I don't have the manual in front of me at the moment, I am pretty sure that that is not an area that is allowed to be welded. Some area's can be, but unfortunatly I think you are looking for a case half.

I did not know you could look for a case half? I thought they were matched sets!! Can anyone direct me to a possible source that might be able to help me.
Tom

I am pretty sure(but don't quote me!!) that you can get one half, then the two need to be line bored together to match the crank and cam journals.

Any reputable engine shop should be able to give you the straight answer.(mattituck, victor, lycon, etc........)

Back