Cruisair Airliners.

gjordan

I just got my copy of the BC Contact. I enjoyed reading Dans article about the 14-9 Airliners. I had only heard about one of them. Didnt know there were three. In my collection of unfinished projects I have another Cruisair Airliner. It is a 14-13-2 that flew out of John Wayne airport (whatever it was called in the 40s and 50s) and commuted all over the SW and many trips to Oakland. I suspect it is the highest time Cruisair ever. It had 5000 hours by the late 50s, and 6000 hours when it was disassembled in the early 90s. I dont recall who was the original owners, but they flew the heck out of it. I need to get the title straightened out before it falls off of the registry. I should see if there is an historian at that airport, to see if there might be some old photos of the plane. An original paint job would be cool. That will have to wait for the next owner since I have enough projects (of all kinds) to last me for 150 years. I will have to go to my fire safe and look up the N number. Just a point of interest for Bellanca lovers. _____Grant.

That must be the all time high time model 14.......
Quite a few of the 14-9s I have were SoCal based early on and most of them flew into Mexico and Central America before and after WW2. Now that was adventuresome! The 14-13 I've had for soooo long has an entry in the log when the airplane was two weeks old...."St. Pete Fla. to Juneau, Alaska and return. Nice Trip." One Cruisair I had as a project flew to Tierra Del Fuego and back.
My aching butt!
We think of these airplanes as collectors. Back then, they were flyers! They can be again.
Dan

I am going to contact the fellow I bought it from, and get the title sorted out. I bought it mostly to get a complete IFR stack and lots of other electronic goodies. I later decided that I am a basic day VFR sort of pilot, and didnt need that stuff. If I get title I will sell it as a project to someone that would restore it. It would be a shame with that history, to let it fall off of the registry. _____Grant.

Back