Cruisair/Cruisemaster Questions

gfhawker

Is there anyone out there that produces ready made control cables for the Cruisair/Cruisemaster world? I am very familiar with how to make cables and those that can make custom cables but wanted to know if there was a source for cables that are ready to go.

Also, how about a general Cruisair parts source? I have been making great progress on serial number 1618 and having a ball but starting to develop quite a list of needed parts.

One other question. What is the glue of choice for wing repairs these days? I am a tube and fabric guy and have restored many airplanes but my last wood wing was almost 20 years ago. Any advancements? I know, silly question about a 60 year old wing but will take all the advice I can get.

Cheers and thanks to all.

RT

RT. the homebulders have been using T-88. I like the West System and used it on my crate with excellent results. Lynn :D

I have used T88 in the past with great results, but also realize that it is an epoxy product, and not all agree that epoxy is appropriate for wood aircraft construction. Again, I have had great experiences with T88 and will probably end up using it for the wing repairs I have to make. Does anyone else have input? I am not at all familiar with the West system. What is the source? Is it an epoxy system?

I have posted the following sentiment previously but I would like to reinforce that this forum is one of the most supportive and positive that I have ever experienced. I currently also own and fly a Beechcraft Twin Bonanza and belong to the Twin Bonanza Society and have found that group more inclined to discuss the latest Obama speech rather than the issue I am having with the pressure carb on the left engine...

Thank you to all here, as you all show extraordinary dedication to your airplanes and to the integrity of this forum.

Cheers.

RT

The old standby and I think the appropriate glue for A/C wood applications is Weldwood marine or waterproof Resorcinol Glue (a two part powder and resin), meets MIL-A-46051 and MIL-A22397. I believe that it or its equivalent has been used for many, many years. Aircraft Spruce sells it and most hardware stores and big boxes.

I also remember a light brown powdered glue that mixed with water but do not remember its name or brand, or its recommended application.

My dad built two planes from plans and I remember mixing up a lot of it for the wood structure wings, and he would advise me that "It's the glue that you squeeze out (from between the parts) that makes the best glue joint."

Another might be Gorilla Glue but I'm not sure about its chemistry being appropriate for an airplane, I do know it works pretty good for wood parts I have needed to stick together.

Get the latest AC-43. It has some "guidelines" on glues. Both the West System and T-88 are good. The black resorcinol is an old standby. I think the plastic resin-"weldwood" is discouraged. I keep several copies of FAA approvals on epoxies used in wood wings. I've had no problems with the Feds in the past. Dan

Back