Cruisair Engine Upgrade.

gjordan

I just received my copy of the B_C CONTACT and read the article by Scott Thomas concerning putting a 165 Franklin in place of a 150 Franklin in a Cruisair. I was surprised to hear that the motor mount needed more than the notch for the larger diameter generator. I have seen several mounts from 165s and not noticed any difference other than the generator notch. Maybe I havent looked close enough? The thing that stood out in the article that worried me was the redline that he is running his Aeromatic. I had a long conversation with Kent Tarver about a month ago and the redline came up for Bellancas with Aeromatics. He said that the Aeromatic AD didnt apply to the Cruisair(he is right) but he hadnt noticed the 2650 redline in our Type Certificate. Running an Aeromatic above 2650 may or may not be safe , but it is not approved. I hope to hear other comments on the motor mount mods.______Grant

There shouldn't be any changes except for the generator location. Years ago when I received the Debs STC for the 180 Franklin, I sent the mount to them for inspection and modification. The only modification was the addition of two small gussets to the mount. Even the crosstube was not modified as the engine sits a fraction of an inch higher on the mount than a 150/165.....so there was not a problem with clearance.
So many people have modified the engines with helicopter and "will fit" parts. I wonder?????????? Greg Lucas would be more up to date than I Dan

Back