Cruisair for sale

I believe this was on barnstormers or ebay some time back.
I thought it was interesting that it is listed as a 150 franklin but has the 165 franklin valve covers.
I wonder if it is the wrong valve covers, or actually has the 165?

I have run across many 150s with the bumped valve covers. Some were from having 165 or helicopter valves which are longer and need the clearance. There is even an STC to put most of a 165 valve train into a 150. So many parts on Franklins are interchangable that it can get confusing. ______Grant.

Carb (MA4.5 vs MA3) and intake manifold to carb...less may be valve covers, but as previously said - Not definitive as they are interchangeable… Well at least in the 165 covers can be used on the 150

As Larry says, the 165 carb is physically much bigger but there have been enough 165s that had 150 intake systems on them, that the carb alone may not be proof. On the forward left side of the engine is a plate that contains the over pressure relief valve . I think it is directly above the motor mount leg. Just above or possibly just behind that plate is a flat raised area (boss) that on a 165 has a small plate with a gasket, covering 2 oil holes that are for an oil controlled prop. If the flat area (boss) is not drilled it is definitely a 150. If there is a plate (3 bolts holding it) it is probably a 165, but there are some HEAVY CASE 150s that are drilled for the oil controlled prop. A heavy case 150 will have a 150 data plate but have 165 casting numbers on the side of the case. I think there is a diagram of that area of a 165, in the parts manual or overhaul manual. Now that I have confused everyone, I am going to start another thread about something that has me confused. _____Grant.

Back