Cruisair main gear leg oil seals

jeffw

In December it will be 29 years I have owned this 14-13-2.

I've tried for years to find oil seals for the main gear legs. I had found one or two replacements more than a few years ago and have tried them.

They have never done anywhere near a good job of sealing the oil from leaking out pretty quickly. I also had the lower gear leg tubes re-plated chrome which added a some thousandths.

So I don't try to keep them full of oil, I squirt a few dolups of 30 weight in every couple of months and go on - that seems keep enough lube in it. I guess that the big compression spring in the tube does the heavy lifting for the gear compression. Is the oil in the tube expected to provide any compression resistance?

If someone knows of seals that I should try - please let me know their ID and source. Or, any comment on how the gear leg is designed to operate regarding the spring/oil/seals.

Since we are on this subject, How much oil do you add and where? Right now with gear down and hanging it has two inches of free travel like nothing is stopping it? I am about two weeks out from getting this in the air. Thanks Joe

I should of made it more clearer what I was asking for, on newer aircraft the strut is gas charged with an orface to bleed it down as it comes in for landing, When I push upward on the wheel there is no resistance for the first two inches with five inches of chrome hanging out. Thanks Joe

Back