Cruisair project

planebones

I just saw a cruisair project in KSL (Salt Lake City) classifieds (Recreational vehicles/ airplanes). It is located in Las Vegas area. Has recovered fuselage and low time engine and he wants twice what it is worth. Ad shows a picture of a brown/white wood wing Mooney (that I used to own and had rebuilt the wing on) ....Just in case any of you are bored!

So many projects for one man, I guess he thought he would live to be 300 years old, some people just have to come to realize some things will never get done, so send them to a young person with the hopes and dreams that you did.

The "new" generation of pilot/owner wants "plug and play" in an airplane. No one [seemingly] wants to rebuild or restore anything....too much time and work...and dedication. There are far more airplane projects of all kinds than there are people willing to work on them.
My two cents worth...………
Dan

Dan,
I have been rebuilding vintage cars all my life, some of them where labor of loves. When I saw this cruisair on Barnstormers I knew it would be another labor of love to get it back into the air. The first time Paul Workman showed up to look at it he told me three years before it would be ready to get into the air. I thought it could be done in a year well it has been three now, thought last fall it was going to go in the air but when we where changing out props we found the rust inside the hollow part of the crank. I was bummed out at first but when I opened up the 400 hour engine on the plane I found out there was a lot more hours on that engine than logged. I am glad now we are rebuilding another engine so this way I will know everything about this plane and when it does go up it should all be good to go. I know there will be little bugs at first but that is like any thing that has sat for years.

TJ,
Lycoming has had a bulletin on the interior of hollow crankshafts. I wouldn't junk that first crank until checking the seriousness of the rust. These parts are not easy to find. Use the Lycoming information for guidance in your inspection and possible treatment.
Dan

Dan,
One pit was .68 deep and the A&P did not like it, the crank was still at Std. when I measured it. When I opened it up engine was nasty inside, logs said it was a 400 hour engine when installed, maybe 400 on the jugs! I did think of sending it to OKlahoma to see if it could be repaired?? Thanks for your advise on the parts, learned a long time ago to keep extra's just in case.

Back